Powerflush nearby to Twyford
Twyford is a large village and civil parish in Berkshire, England, with a population of 6,618 people. It is located in the Thames Valley, near Henley-on-Thames and Wokingham, at grid reference SU794752 on the A4 between Reading and Maidenhead.
Click here for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
The village’s name derives from Anglo-Saxon and means “dual ford.”
It’s a popular name in England. Twyford had two fords across two branches of the River Loddon, located on the Old Bath Road to the west of the town. According to the chronicler Geoffrey Gaimar, after King Thelred of Wessex and his brother, the future King Alfred the Great, were defeated by the Vikings at the Battle of Reading in 871, they fled through a ford over the River Loddon at Twyford that their pursuers were unaware of. William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, was a well-known philanthropist who donated his life savings to Loddon Village Hall. He spent the last years of his life in Ruscombe Fields, a property near Twyford, and is commemorated by a residential street called ‘Pennfields.’
Twyford was primarily an agricultural settlement until the railway arrived in 1838, connecting it to the Great Western main line to the west and later becoming a junction for the Henley Branch Line. However, its location on the Bath Road had always attracted activity, centered on the King’s Arms, an important coaching inn. Twyford is still on a busy north–south route from Wokingham in the south to Henley-on-Thames in the north, thanks to the opening of a by-pass in 1929. The most significant growth, however, has occurred since World War II, particularly in the last 50 years, with the construction of several estates north and south of the village.