Powerflush nearby to Buckingham
Buckingham is a market town in north Buckinghamshire, England, near the borders of Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire, with a population of 12,043 in 2011. The town is about 10 miles (16 kilometers) west of Central Milton Keynes, 16 miles (26 kilometers) south of Banbury, and 21 miles (34 kilometers) north of Oxford.
Buckingham served as the county town of Buckinghamshire from the 10th century, when it was designated as the capital of the newly formed shire of Buckingham, until Aylesbury took over in the early 18th century.
Buckingham has a variety of restaurants and pubs, as one would expect from a market town. It has a number of national and independent shops. Tuesday and Saturday are market days, when Market Hill and the High Street cattle pens are taken over. Buckingham is twinned with the German town of Neukirchen-Vluyn and the French town of Mouvaux.
We offer cleaning out limescale in heating systems in these postcode areas:
Buckingham and the surrounding area has been settled for some time, with evidence of Roman settlement found in several locations near the River Great Ouse, including a temple south of the A421 at Bourton Grounds that was excavated in the 1960s and dated to the 3rd century AD. In the nineteenth century, a possible Roman structure was discovered at Castle Fields. Pottery, kiln furniture, and burning areas discovered at Buckingham Industrial Estate suggest the presence of some early Roman pottery kilns here.
Buckingham, literally “meadow of Bucca’s people”, is said to have been founded in the 7th century by Bucca, the leader of the first Anglo Saxon settlers.
The first settlement was at the top of a loop in the River Great Ouse, which is now the Hunter Street campus of the University of Buckingham. Between the 7th and 11th centuries, the town of Buckingham changed hands on a regular basis between the Saxons and the Danes. In particular, in 914, King Edward the Elder and a Saxon army encamped in Buckingham for four weeks, forcing local Danish Viking leaders to surrender. As a result, a fort was built on the site of the current Buckingham parish church. Buckingham is mentioned in the Burghal Hidage, a document commonly attributed to the early tenth century but more likely from the period 878–9 that describes a system of forts established by King Alfred (d.899) over the entire West Saxon kingdom. When King Edward encamped with his army at Buckingham in 914, he was thus restoring a fort that had already existed for more than a generation. This tactical move was part of a putsch against the Danish Vikings who controlled what had been southern Mercia, which included seizing control of Viking centers in Bedford, Northampton, Cambridge, and, eventually, the entire East Anglia by the end of 917.
Buckingham is the first settlement mentioned in the Buckinghamshire section of the 1086 Domesday Book.
Buckingham was known as Buckingham with Bourton, and the survey mentions 26 burgesses, 11 smallholders, and 1 mill.
Queen Mary established the free Borough of Buckingham in 1554, with boundaries extending from Thornborowe Bridge (now Thornborough) to Dudley Bridge and from Chackmore Bridge to Padbury Mill Bridge. A bailiff, twelve principal burgesses, and a steward were appointed to the designated borough. Yeomanry House, the commanding officer of the Buckinghamshire Yeomanry’s offices and home, was built in the early nineteenth century.
The town was devastated by a major fire that raged through the town center on 15 March 1725, destroying many of the town’s main streets, including Castle Street, Castle Hill, and the north side of Market Hill. As a result, the fire consumed 138 dwellings (out of a total of 387 in the town at the time). Although the current fine range of Georgian architecture in these streets is a direct result of that fire, the immediate aftermath was difficult for the town. Collections were made in nearby towns such as Aylesbury and Wendover to assist those who had been displaced, but only one-third of the homes had been rebuilt by 1730. Because many buildings are considered to be historically significant, a number of them have been designated as ‘listed buildings.’ Among these is the Grade I-listed Castle House on West Street, which dates from the 15th century. Buckingham Town Hall, a Grade II* listed building, dates from the late 18th century.
It was linked to the London and North Western Railway in the nineteenth century.
In 1841, the municipal borough had a population of 1,816 people.
Buckinghamshire County Council, along with other local councils, formed the Buckingham Development Company in 1971 and embarked on a major project to expand the town and provide a bypass, primarily to the south and east of the historic town centre. In 1991, the population increased from just over 5,000 to 9,309 people.
The town is centered on the historic market square and features many 18th century structures. Buckingham is crossed by three major roads: the A413, the A421 (the southern bypass), and the A422. Capability Brown’s historic formal garden design at Stowe (on the A422 westbound) is an important National Trust attraction.
On the south side of the town’s dismantled railway, there is a medieval well known as St Rumbold’s Well. The well, which is now dry for the majority of the year, was built to exploit the spring line beneath the crest of a north-facing slope overlooking town.
Buckingham has several suburbs, including Mount Pleasant, Page Hill, Bourton, Badgers, Linden Village, Castle Fields, and Lace Hill. Maids Moreton, a village on the town’s northern and eastern outskirts, has become part of the Buckingham urban area. Aylesbury, Winslow, Bicester, Brackley, Milton Keynes, and Towcester are all nearby towns. Padbury and Gawcott to the south, Chackmore to the north, and Shalstone to the north west are all nearby villages. It is also close to Stowe, which is home to Stowe House, Stowe Landscape Gardens, and Stowe School.
On the outskirts of town, at WikiMiniAtlas52°00′00′′N 01°00′00′′W, there is a degree confluence point.