Powerflush nearby to Chesham
Chesham is a market town and civil parish in the English county of Buckinghamshire. It is 11 miles (18 kilometers) south-east of Aylesbury and 25.8 miles (41.5 kilometers) north-west of Charing Cross in central London, and is part of the London commuter belt. It is located in the Chess Valley and is surrounded by farmland. Although there is archaeological evidence of people in this area dating back to around 8000 BC, the first records of Chesham as a settlement date from the second half of the 10th century. In 1257, Henry III granted the town a royal charter for a weekly market.
Chesham is famous for the four Bs: boots, beer, brushes, and Baptists.
The three traditional industries declined rapidly in the face of fierce competition from both within and outside the country during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The ready availability of skilled labor encouraged the establishment of new industries in the town both before and after World War II. Today, the town’s employment is primarily provided by small businesses engaged in light industry, technology, and professional services.
Chesham has grown significantly since the early twentieth century, with new housing developments and civic infrastructure. Chesham has evolved into a commuter town, with better access to London via the London Underground and road networks. Since the 1960s, the town center has been gradually redeveloped, and it has been pedestrianized since the 1990s. The population was 30,910 according to the 2011 Census.
Click this for cleaning out limescale in heating systems in these postcode areas:
There is archaeological evidence of the earliest settlement around 5000 BC in East Street, Chesham, where a large quantity of flint tools were discovered.
The earliest farming evidence dates back to the Neolithic period, around 2500 BC. Around 1800 BC, Bronze Age tribes settled in the valley, followed by Iron Age Belgic people of the Catuvellauni tribe around 500 BC. There is evidence of Romano-British farming between 150 and 400 AD, and there is archaeological evidence of a Roman villa and grapevine planting nearby at Latimer. However, the area was abandoned until the Saxon period in the 7th century.
Contrary to popular belief, the town is named after the river, not the other way around. Chesham was first mentioned in a will around 970 under the Old English name Cstleshamm, meaning “the river-meadow at the pile of stones”, in the will of Lady lfgifu, who has been identified as King Eadwig’s former wife. She had an estate here that she left to Abingdon Abbey.
Prior to 1066, Caestreham was comprised of three adjacent estates, which are briefly recorded in the Domesday Book as being of 1+12, 4, and 8+12 hides, with four mills. The most important of these manors was held by Queen Edith, Edward the Confessor’s widow. Other land had been returned to the Crown by Harold Godwinson and his brother Leofwine Godwinson. A portion of these were later incorporated into Chesham Bois parish. Following 1066, Edith retained her lands, while William the Conqueror divided royal lands between his half brother Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and Hugh de Bolbec.
The town is located in the Chess Valley, 13 miles south of the county town of Aylesbury, and 25 miles (40 kilometers) north of central London. With a population of 20,343, it is the fourth largest town in the ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire and the largest in Chiltern District, trailing Milton Keynes (184,500), High Wycombe (118,200), and Aylesbury (69,200). Amersham has a population of 17,719.