Powerflush nearby to Hoddesdon
Hoddesdon is a town in the Hertfordshire Borough of Broxbourne, entirely within the London Metropolitan Area and Greater London Urban Area. The area is bordered by the River Lea, the Lee Navigation, and the New River.
According to the United Kingdom’s 2011 census, Hoddesdon is the second most populous town in Broxbourne, with a population of 42,253.
It is bounded to the north by Ware, to the east by Nazeing in Essex, and to the south by Broxbourne. The Prime Meridian runs just east of Hoddesdon. Rye House railway station and nearby Broxbourne railway station serve the town.
Click this link for cleaning out rust in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
History from the beginning
The name “Hoddesdon” is thought to be a combination of a Saxon or Danish personal name and the Old English suffix “don,” which means a down or hill.
The name appears for the first time in the Domesday Book, in the hundred of Hertford.
Hoddesdon was about 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of London on the main road to Cambridge and the north. The road forked in the town center, with the current High Street dividing into Amwell Street and Burford Street, both of which lead north to Ware. From the beginning, there were many inns lining the streets to serve the needs of travelers. In 1253, Robert Boxe, lord of the manor, was granted a market charter. The Hospital of St Laud and St Anthony had been established in the south of Hoddesdon by the 14th century. The institution survived the dissolution of the monasteries but had ceased to exist by the mid-16th century, though it is remembered in the name of Spital Brook, which separates Hoddesdon and Broxbourne.
In 1336, William de la Marche was granted permission to construct a chapel of ease in the town. The structure, known as St Katharine’s Chapel, remained standing until the 17th century, when it was demolished. The tower was still standing in 1836. Pilgrims to the Walsingham shrine used the chapel.
During Elizabeth I’s reign, the town grew significantly, and a number of inns on the High Street date from this period.
In 1559/60, the monarch granted a royal charter, establishing the town government with a bailiff, warden, and eight assistants. The charter also established a free grammar school on the site of the former hospital, which was placed under the corporation’s care. However, neither the borough nor the school thrived, and both had died out by the end of the century. Sir William Cecil purchased the manor of Hoddesdonsbury in 1567, and Elizabeth granted him the neighboring manor of Baas two years later. The Cecils maintained a connection with the town from that time, as evidenced by the naming of The Salisbury Arms (formerly the Black Lion Inn): James Cecil was made Marquess of Salisbury in 1789.
Sir Marmaduke Rawdon built Rawdon House, a red-brick mansion that still stands today, in 1622. Rawdon also provided the town with its first public water supply, which flowed from the “Samaritan Woman” statue.
In 1683, an alleged Whig conspiracy plotted to assassinate or insurrect against Charles II of England due to his pro-Roman Catholic policies. This plot was known as the Rye House Plot, after Rye House in Hoddesdon, which was near a narrow road where Charles was supposed to be killed on his way back from a horse meeting in Newmarket. According to the official story, the plot was thwarted by the king’s unexpectedly early departure in March. On 1 June, ten weeks later, an informer’s allegations prompted a government investigation.
Rye House’s subsequent history has been far less dramatic. William Henry Teale, the current owner, opened a pleasure garden in 1870, displaying the Great Bed of Ware, which he had recently acquired. It was such a popular day trip from London that an extra station on the Liverpool Street to Hertford East line was built to serve it.
However, by the early twentieth century, the tourist trade had declined, and Rye House, with the exception of the Gatehouse, was demolished; the Great Bed was relocated to the Victoria & Albert Museum.
Rye House Gatehouse is still standing today and is a Grade 1 listed building with high-quality diaper brickwork[clarification needed] and a “barley sugar twist” chimney. During the summer, it is open to the public on weekends and bank holidays and features exhibits about the Plot and the early history of brick-building. The floor plan of the house is marked out on the rest of the grassy site.
In 1732, a new chapel of ease dedicated to St Paul was built.
This was later expanded and became the parish church when Hoddesdon became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1844. Previously, the town was divided into two parishes: Broxbourne and Great Amwell. The line between the two parishes was marked by an archway in the town’s High Street. When this structure was demolished in the 1960s, a specially inscribed stone was placed in the pavement to mark the historic boundary. A new clock house was built in place of St Katharine’s Chapel.
Brewing was first established in the town around the year 1700. William Christie founded a brewery in the town in 1803, and it grew to become a major employer and one of the largest breweries in England. The brewery remained open until 1928. The majority of the brewery buildings were demolished in 1930, though a portion was converted into a cinema before being demolished. Some relics of the establishment can still be found on Brewery Road.
By the mid-nineteenth century, the town had a population of 1,743 and was still primarily comprised of one street. Malt was being manufactured and shipped to London via the River Lea. There were also several flour mills. Every Thursday, the hops market was the focal point of activity in Hoddesdon. As time passed, more and more hops were transported by river rather than road, and the Wednesday meat market came to dominate. The Wednesday market has survived, and in the late twentieth century, a Friday market was added.
Following the Second World War
After WWII, Hoddesdon grew in popularity as a dormitory town, forming part of the London commuter belt. Much of the town center was demolished in the 1960s and 1970s to make way for the Tower Centre and Fawkon Walk shopping malls. The construction of a bypass in 1974 altered the character of the town, as through traffic was reduced.
Hoddesdon has a sizable Italian population.
Many Sicilian families moved to the Lea Valley in the 1950s and 1960s to work in the nearby garden nurseries, and many of their descendants still live there. Since the 18th century, the Lea Valley has been known for its high-quality produce from its market gardens and green houses. The majority of the Lea Valley’s cucumber farms are owned and grown by people from two Sicilian villages: Cianciana and Mussomeli. According to the Lee Valley Growers Association, more than 70 percent of the Lea Valley’s 100 or so nurseries are now owned by Sicilian descendants, and their glasshouses produce 75 percent of UK-grown cucumbers and 50 percent of its peppers.
The Italian community has grown to become a part of the fabric of the area, as part of a wave of immigration to the UK following WWII, with migrants and their descendants still celebrating their rich Italian heritage.
The San Antonio Festival is celebrated in June with a street procession, though it is now a low-key festival because many of the participants are elderly.
Broxbourne Council is home to an Italian consul.
Many Italian cuisines were brought to the Hoddesdon area by the Italian influx.
Rye House Kart Raceway was purchased in 2007 by two local family businessmen. David Coulthard recently referred to it as the “Silverstone of Karting.” In 2013, we created the Book It Now diary-based calendar system.
JD Wetherspoon’s first pub in Hoddesdon, the former Salisbury Arms on the High Street, opened in 2014. A series of important 16th century wall paintings were discovered during renovations at the renamed Star. They can be found on the north wall of the bar, with some additional detail on one of the ceiling beams. Half-figures and biblical verses are depicted in the paintings. Roof beams from the mid-1400s have also been discovered, implying that The Star is much older than previously thought.