Powerflush nearby to Welwyn Garden City
Welwyn Garden City is a town in the English county of Hertfordshire, 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of London. It was England’s second garden city (founded in 1920) and one of the country’s first new towns (designated 1948). It is unique in that it is both a garden city and a new town, and it exemplifies the physical, social, and cultural planning ideals of the eras in which it was constructed.
Visit this page for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
Sir Ebenezer Howard established Welwyn Garden City in 1920, following his previous experiment in Letchworth Garden City. Howard advocated for the development of planned towns that would combine the advantages of the city and the countryside while avoiding the drawbacks of both. It was intended to be “The Perfect Town.” A garden city was defined by the Garden Cities and Town Planning Association as
“a town designed for healthy living and industry of a size that allows for a full measure of social life but not larger, surrounded by a rural belt; the entire land in public ownership, or held in trust for the community”.
Howard arranged for the purchase of land in Hertfordshire that had previously been identified as a suitable location in 1919. In October 1919, a company called Second Garden City Limited was formed to begin purchasing land and developing the town. On February 4, 1920, the company’s board of directors decided to name the new garden city Digswell, after the existing small village that would be surrounded by the development. Six days later, they changed their minds, naming it Welwyn Garden City instead, recognizing that the project had already been dubbed the “new garden city near Welwyn.” The company’s name was changed to Welwyn Garden City Limited on April 29, 1920. Sir Theodore Chambers presided over the company, which also included Louis de Soissons as architect and town planner, Charles Purdom as finance director, and Frederic Osborn as secretary. The first house was completed shortly before Christmas in 1920.
The town is designed with tree-lined boulevards and a neo-Georgian town center.
It has its own environmental protection legislation, the Welwyn Garden City Scheme of Management.
Every street has a large grass verge. Parkway, a nearly mile-long central mall or scenic parkway, serves as the town’s spine. The view to the south along Parkway was once described as one of the world’s finest urban vistas. Older homes are located on the west side of Parkway, while newer homes are located on the east side.
The original planners intended for all garden city residents to shop in one store, so they established the Welwyn Stores, a monopoly that sparked some local resentment.
Commercial pressures have since ensured much more competition and variety, and the John Lewis Partnership purchased the Welwyn Stores in 1984.
Under the New Towns Act 1946, Welwyn Garden City was designated a new town in 1948, and the Welwyn Garden City company transferred its assets to the Welwyn Garden City Development Corporation. Louis de Soissons was retained as the company’s planning consultant. The Times compared Welwyn Garden City to Hatfield that year. It described Welwyn Garden City as a world-famous modern new town created as a community planning experiment, and Hatfield as an unplanned settlement formed by sporadic building in the open countryside. “Welwyn, though far from perfect, made the New Towns Act possible, just as Hatfield’s flaws made it necessary.” The Development Corporation was disbanded and handed over to the Commission for New Towns in 1966. Between 1978 and 1983, the housing stock, neighborhood shopping, and green spaces were transferred to Welwyn Hatfield District Council.
The New QEII Hospital, which opened in June 2015, provides outpatient, diagnostic, and antenatal/postnatal care.
The Howard Centre, a shopping mall, was built in the 1980s to replace the original “temporary” railway station.
The problems of metropolitan and regional development, as well as the importance of sustainability in government policy, have sparked renewed interest in the ethos of the garden city and the type of neighbourhood and community advocated by Howard.
The Welwyn Roman baths are open to visitors and are located on the outskirts of Old Welwyn village. They are preserved in a steel vault beneath junction 6 of the A1(M).
The Welwyn Garden City Society is the local civic society dedicated to preserving and conserving the garden city ethos.
Welwyn Garden City is the British headquarters of the international ecumenical Focolare movement.
During the construction of an HSBC site in 2008, 60 unsecured argonite fire suppressant cylinders exploded, killing one person, injuring six others, and causing significant damage. Three companies were later found guilty of health and safety violations.
Welwyn Garden City celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2020, with a series of events planned. They could not all be completed in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Welwyn Garden City had a population of 46,619 in 2011 and an estimated population of 51,735 in 2016.
Welwyn Garden City, like the rest of the United Kingdom, has a maritime or oceanic climate (Köppen climate classification Cfb). The town has hot summers and cool winters.