Powerflush nearby to Wanlip
Wanlip is a small village and civil parish in Leicestershire’s Charnwood district, with a population of 305 according to the 2011 census. It is a village in the countryside, north of Birstall and west of Watermead Country Park and the River Soar. The A46 highway runs directly through the village. Wanlip won the Leicester and Rutland Best Village Competition in 2008 for villages with fewer than 500 people.
Wanlip Meadows, a Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust nature reserve, is located to the south of Wanlip. To the north is a Severn Trent sewage treatment plant, which serves a population of over 500,000 people. The Cedars Academy is located on the outskirts of Birstall to the south. The 14-hectare Reedbed Local Nature Reserve, part of the Watermead Country Park, is located to the east.
Wanlip is home to a 132-meter-tall wind turbine that began operations at the end of 2013.
View more for cleaning out rust in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
During the construction of Longslade School in 1958, an Iron Age settlement was discovered just to the north of Wanlip, and an Anglo-Saxon cemetery was discovered.
One of the earliest mentions of Wanlip is in the Domesday Book, where it is listed as Anelepe, among the lands granted by the King to Earl Aubrey. A mill is included in the description of the land. Aubrey de Vere II, the Earl’s son, went on to become Lord Chancellor.
The surnames of the three families who have owned the manor for the past eight centuries are as follows:
Walsh 1230-1526 Aston 1526-1626 Palmer 1626-today William Wilberforce, the 19th century MP and leading abolitionist, lived at Wanlip Hall for a number of years.
Wanlip has four listed buildings: a brick ice house, Our Lady and St. Nicholas Church, Manor Farm, and Hall Farm.