Powerflush nearby to Burton Latimer
Burton Latimer is a town in Northamptonshire, England, about 3.1 miles (5.0 kilometers) from Kettering. It had a population of 7,449 according to the 2011 census.
Click here for powerflushing service in heating systems in these postcode areas:
Burton (Latimer) is mentioned three times in the Domesday Book of 1086.
Guy of Raimbeaucourt was Tenant-in-Chief and Lord in 1086. There are 21 villagers’ households. There are 18 smallholders. There is one slave. Ploughland: fourteen ploughlands (tre). 3 plough teams from the Lord. There are 9 men’s plough teams. Additional resources: 3.0 acres of lord’s land 20 acres of meadow 0.5 acre of forest. 2 millimeters, value 0.8 41,1 Phillimore reference
Bishop Geoffrey of Coutances was the chief tenant in 1086. Walkelin of Harrowden was the Lord in 1086. 9 villagers have households. There are 5 smallholders. 1 male slave and 1 female slave 5 ploughlands are available (land for). 2 plough teams from the Lord. 3.5 plough teams of men Other resources include a 15-acre meadow. 4,9 Phillimore reference
Bishop Geoffrey of Coutances was the chief tenant in 1086. In 1086, Lord Richard Three villages have three households. There is one smallholder. There is one slave. Ploughland: three ploughlands (land for). 1 plough team for the Lord. Men’s plough teams number one. Additional resources: 6 acres of meadow 4,12 Phillimore reference
Earl Ralph, probably the Earl of Hereford, held 812 hides of land in the reign of Edward the Confessor (1042-1066), which comprised the entire Manor of Burton until the first half of the 13th century, and paid the service due from 1.5 Knight’s Fees.
Guy de Reinbuedcurt (Reimbeaucourt) held the manor directly from the king in 1086, and his youngest son, Richard, was the tenant under Henry I. (1100-1135). Richard is said to have pledged the manor to the king in payment of a gambling debt, and the king then granted it to Alan de Dinant, a Breton who defeated the champion of the King of France near Gisors, to hold at pleasure.
The name of the town comes from the le Latimer family, who lived there in the 13th century. It was known as ‘Burtone’ before the Latimers arrived. It grew up around the ironstone quarrying, clothing, and footwear industries in the nineteenth century. A corn-grinding watermill was converted and used at various times in the nineteenth century for the manufacture of silk and worsted, as well as carpet-weaving, before being converted to a steam mill to make chicory, mustard, animal foodstuffs, and flour. In the 1930s, the mill was purchased and became the home of Weetabix.
History of Industry
Two new industries arrived in the late nineteenth century.
Burton grew quickly to become a small, thriving light-industrial town after the first four clothing factories opened in 1885, followed in 1898 by the first shoe factory, and the town grew rapidly to become a small, thriving light-industrial town.
Quarrying for ironstone began around 1872 to the north of town, to the south of the Kettering, Thrapston, and Huntingdon Railway. More quarries were established in the west, near Polwell Lane, and more broadly on the east side of town. The final pits stopped producing iron ore in 1921. The ore was transported to the mainline railways via 3 ft (914 mm) gauge tramways. Tramways were initially powered by horses, but steam locomotives were introduced around 1892. In 1925, the quarry near Polwell Lane was reopened for ganister extraction. Small diesel locomotives powered the tramway from this quarry to the main railway. The quarry’s operations ceased in 1983.
By 2000, the town’s new bypass and the construction of the A14 had made it appealing as a manufacturing and distribution center once more. National corporations such as Versalift, Alpro Soya, and Abbeyboard have established themselves on the city’s outskirts.
The parish church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin and consecrated in 1147, is a notable structure in the town. It houses a number of medieval wall paintings, a chancel screen from the 15th century, and some memorial brasses. The oldest of these is located between the south arcade and the chancel screen and features the Boyville family coat of arms; it was almost certainly placed there in the early 16th century to commemorate Richard Boyville, his wife Gresyll, and their children.