Powerflush nearby to Corby
Corby is a town in North Northamptonshire, England, 23 miles (37 kilometers) north of Northampton. The town served as the administrative headquarters of the Borough of Corby from 1974 to 2021. The built-up area had a population of 56,810 according to the 2011 Census, while the borough, which was abolished in 2021, had a population of 61,255.
According to data released in March 2010, Corby has the fastest growing population in both Northamptonshire and England. Because of the large number of Scottish workers who came to Corby for its steelworks, the town was once known as “Little Scotland.” Corby has recently undergone significant regeneration, with the opening of the Corby railway station and Corby International Pool in 2009, and the Corby Cube in 2010. The Cube previously housed the offices of the (former) Corby Borough Council and now houses a 450-seat theatre, a public library, and other community amenities.
Click this for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
History from the beginning
Mesolithic and Neolithic artifacts have been discovered in the area surrounding Corby, and human remains dating back to the Bronze Age were discovered at Cowthick in 1970. The first evidence of permanent settlement dates back to the 8th century, when Danish invaders arrived, and the settlement was dubbed “Kori’s by” – Kori’s settlement. The settlement was known as “Corbei” in the Domesday Book of 1086. Corby’s emblem, the raven, is derived from a different meaning of the word. These Danish roots were recognized in the naming of the town’s most southern housing estate, Danesholme, which was centered on one of the Danish settlements.
Henry III granted Corby the right to hold two annual fairs and a market in 1226. Elizabeth I granted Corby a charter in 1568 that exempted local landowners from tolls (the fee paid by travelers to use long-distance public roads), dues (an early form of income tax), and gave all men the right to refuse to serve in the local militia. According to legend, the Queen was hunting in Rockingham Forest when she either fell from her horse or became trapped in a bog while riding. In gratitude for her rescue by villagers from Corby, she granted the charter. Another widely held belief is that it was granted as a favor to her alleged lover, Sir Christopher Hatton.
Fair at Corby Pole
Since 1862, the Corby Pole Fair has been held every 20 years to commemorate the charter. According to a 14 June 1862 newspaper report focusing on the fair’s extravagances, fugitive slave John Anderson was educated at the Corby British School, giving the town an unusual link to slavery in the United States.
The next pole fair will take place on June 3, 2022, to coincide with The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
From a rural village to an industrial city
Since Roman times, the area has been mined for iron ore. With the arrival of railways and the discovery of extensive ironstone beds in the nineteenth century, an ironstone industry arose. An ironstone works had been established by 1910. Corby was a small village with a population of about 1,500 people in 1931. When the owners of the ironstone works, the steel firm Stewarts & Lloyds, decided to build a large integrated ironstone and steel works on the site, it grew quickly into a reasonably sized industrial town. When construction began in 1934, it drew workers from all over the country, including many from the impoverished west of Scotland and Irish laborers. The first steel was produced in October 1935, and the steel works dominated the town for decades afterwards. Corby’s population had grown to around 12,000 by 1939, when it was thought to be the country’s largest “village,” but it was at that point that Corby was re-designated an urban district (see the Local Government section below).
The 1940s and 1950s
During WWII, the Corby steelworks were expected to be a target for German bombers, but only a few bombs were dropped by solitary planes, and there were no casualties. This could be because the entire area was blanketed in huge dense black, low-lying clouds caused by the intentional burning of oil and latex to conceal the glowing Bessemer converter furnaces at the steelworks from German bomber crews. The only known survivors of German attacks are bullet holes visible on the front fascia of the old post office in Corby village (now known as Decades bar and restaurant). Corby Steelworks made a significant contribution to the war effort by producing steel tubes for Operation Pluto (Pipe Line Under the Ocean), which supplied fuel to Allied forces on the European continent.
Corby was designated a New Town in 1950, with a population of 18,000, and William Holford was the architect. By 1951, he had completed the development plan, which included a car-oriented layout as well as many areas of open space and woodland. Holford created the town center plan in 1952 and the layout for the first 500 houses in 1954. The town is now experiencing its second wave of growth, primarily from Scotland. Corby is well-known for its Scottish heritage, which stems from decades of incoming steel workers, and was once dubbed “Little Scotland” by locals.
Corby is 72 miles (116 kilometers) north-northwest of London, 23 miles (37 kilometers) north-east of Northampton, 28 miles (45 kilometers) southeast of Leicester, 51 miles (82 kilometers) east of Birmingham, and 19 miles (31 kilometers) west of its nearest city, Peterborough.
Corby’s built-up area had a population of 56,810 in 2011, while the Borough of Corby had a population of 61,255. The urban area was 20.5 km2 in size, compared to the larger borough’s 80.3 km2. Corby is rapidly growing, with the borough’s population increasing from 53,400 in 2001 to 61,300 in 2011. As a result of the growth, villages such as Great Oakley and Weldon have been absorbed into the town’s urban area. The latter, however, remains a parish, separated from the rest of Corby by the A43.