Powerflush nearby to Daventry
Daventry is a market town and civil parish in Northamptonshire, England, near the Warwickshire border. Daventry had a population of 25,026, according to the 2011 Census, making it the sixth largest town in Northamptonshire.
Check this out for powerflushing service in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
History from the beginning
Borough Hill, which stands 653 feet (199 meters) above Daventry on the town’s eastern outskirts, towers over the town. The hill has been the site of human activity since prehistory: remains of two Bronze Age barrows, two Iron Age hill forts – one of which is the fourth largest found in Britain – and a later Roman villa and farming settlement have all been discovered.
According to local folklore, Daventry had Danish (Viking) origins, which was due in part to the old pronunciation of Daventry as Daintry, which was interpreted as “Dane Tree,” but in more modern interpretation the town’s name is thought to be Anglo-Saxon in origin: “Dafa’s tree” (Dafa being a founding father or paterfamila) and there was very likely a meeting tree, possibly on Borough Hill. Thus, the name may have originated along the lines of Coventry (“Cofa’s tree,” i.e. “tree of Cofa”). Another popular 19th-century theory was that of Thomas Pennant, the Welsh naturalist and antiquarian, who acknowledged the town’s “considerable antiquity” and speculated that the name was Brythonic, dwy-avon-tre (town of two rivers), a derivation seemingly supported by the town’s topography, which is situated between the sources of the River Leam, which flows west, and the River Nene, which flows east. This theory, however, has since been debunked.
Daventry was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Daventrei during the medieval and Tudor periods.
It was recorded as belonging to Countess Judith, William the Conqueror’s niece.
Around 1108, a small Cluniac priory was established alongside the parish church in Daventry.
Cardinal Wolsey closed the priory in 1526 and gave its assets to Christ Church, Oxford.
Daventry’s first market was recorded in 1203. The market benefited from Daventry’s location on the main road (now the A45 road) that connected the important city of Coventry with Watling Street (now the A5 road), which was the main route from the Midlands to London, bringing in a lot of passing trade.
William Parker, a local woollen draper, established Daventry Grammar School in 1576. The original schoolhouse on New Street, which dates back to around 1600, still stands, though it is now a private residence. Daventry was granted borough status by Queen Elizabeth I the same year.
William Shakespeare mentions the town in Henry IV, Part I (Act IV, Sc II), where he refers to “the red-nosed innkeeper of Daventry.”
Civil War in England
During the English Civil War, King Charles I’s army stayed in Daventry in 1645 after storming the Parliamentary garrison at Leicester and en route to relieve the siege of Oxford. While his Royalist army camped on Borough Hill, the King stayed at the Wheatsheaf Inn.
According to local legend, Charles was visited twice by the ghost of his former adviser and friend, Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford, during his stay at the Wheatsheaf Inn in Daventry, who advised him to keep heading north and warned him that he would not win through force of arms.
However, Parliament’s newly formed New Model Army, led by Sir Thomas Fairfax, was marching north from besieging Oxford, having been told to engage the king’s main army. On June 12, Fairfax’s leading horse detachments clashed with Royalist outposts near Daventry, alerting the king to the presence of the Parliamentary army. The Royalists marched to Newark-on-Trent for reinforcements, but after reaching Market Harborough, they turned to fight, resulting in the decisive Battle of Naseby, in which the Royalist army was heavily defeated by the Parliamentarians. Naseby is located about 14 miles (23 kilometers) northeast of Daventry.
Dissenters Around 1722, English Dissenters established a Dissenting chapel in the town in buildings opposite The Wheatsheaf on the southern end of Sheaf Street. Later that year, in 1752, a Dissenting Academy was relocated from Northampton to this location. From 1752 to 1755, chemist and theologian Joseph Priestley studied there. The Academy returned to Northampton in 1789.
The town of coaching
During the Georgian era of the 18th and early 19th centuries, a national network of turnpike roads with improved road surfaces developed, allowing the development of a national network of mail coaches and long distance passenger stagecoaches. Daventry thrived as a coaching town due to its location on the main roads connecting London with the West Midlands, Holyhead, and Lancashire. The Wheatsheaf, the Saracen’s Head, the Plough and Bell, the Dun Cow, and the Brown Bear were among the many coaching inns in town.
Daventry, according to Daniel Defoe, is a “considerable market town that subsists chiefly on the great concourse of travellers on the old Watling Street way.”
Daventry had become a major hub of the national network by the 1830s, with more than 250 coaches passing through the town every week, including services between London, Warwick, Birmingham, Liverpool and Holyhead, and Birmingham and Cambridge.
Many of Daventry’s finest buildings were built during this period, reflecting the town’s prosperity, most notably the Holy Cross Church of 1758.
1838–1955: Stagnation and decline
The opening of the London and Birmingham Railway in 1838 signaled the beginning of the railway age; almost immediately, the coaching trade slumped, and Daventry entered a long period of stagnation and decline that lasted for over a century: Daventry had a population of 4,565 in 1841, from there it went into steady decline until 1911, when it bottomed out at 3,516, and then slowly recovered, reaching 4,077 in 1951, but did not recover to the 1841 level until later in
Daventry was largely bypassed by the Industrial Revolution due to its failure to connect to newer transportation networks: the Grand Junction Canal (now Grand Union) opened in 1796 and passed a few miles north of Daventry. An arm connecting the canal and Daventry was proposed and included in the Act of Parliament authorizing it, but it was never built.
Similarly, the London and Birmingham Railway passed through the Watford Gap a few miles to the east of the town. The original Act of Parliament included a branch line to Daventry; however, despite several earlier attempts, the line was not built until 1888, when a short branch was built from Weedon to Daventry railway station. The line was extended to Leamington Spa in 1895. However, because it was only a branch line, it had little impact on the town’s economy.
The only significant industry to develop in the town during this period was shoemaking, which employed around 700 people at its peak in the 1870s.
The town is 75 miles (120 kilometers) north-northwest of London via the M1, 14 miles (23 kilometers) west of Northampton, and 104 miles (16.5 kilometers) southwest of Rugby.
and 14 miles (25.5 kilometers) north-northeast of Banbury.
Southam, Coventry, and the villages of Ashby St Ledgers, Badby, Barby, Braunston, Byfield, Charwelton, Dodford, Dunchurch, Everdon, Fawsley, Hellidon, Kilsby, Long Buckby, Newnham, Norton, Staverton, Welton, Weedon, and Woodford Halse are also nearby. The town has a sister city relationship with Westerburg, Germany.
The town is located approximately 110–210 m (360–690 ft) above sea level.
The land to the north and west is generally lower than that of the town. Daventry is located on the watershed of two rivers: the Leam, which flows to Leamington Spa, Warwick, and the west of England, and the Nene, which flows east. There is no river in town, and the largest bodies of water are two reservoirs built to supply the canal that runs from Watford Gap into the west midlands via the 2,042-yard (1,867-meter) Braunston Tunnel to the north. Drayton Reservoir is to the northwest, and Daventry Reservoir and Country Park is to the north east.
Watford Gap is about four miles (six kilometers) northeast of town. The A5 (Watling Street Roman Road), the Grand Union Canal, the West Coast Main Line railway, the Northampton Loop Line, and, most recently, the M1 motorway pass through this gap.
Drayton, Middlemore Farm, Lang Farm, Ashby Fields, Royal Oak, Timken, Stefen Hill, The Grange, The Southbrook, The Headlands, and, most recently, Monksmoor Park are among the housing estates in Daventry.