Powerflush nearby to Irthlingborough
Irthlingborough is a town in North Northamptonshire, England, on the River Nene. Prior to Forest Green Rovers’ promotion to the EFL in May 2017, it had a population of 8,900 and was the smallest town in England to have a Football League team, Rushden & Diamonds F.C. St Peter’s parish church has a lantern tower, which is unusual for Northamptonshire churches and was built to guide travelers across the Nene valley in foggy weather. It also has four cardinal point doors and eight misericords in the chancel.
Click this link for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
The origin of the town’s name is unknown. ‘Ploughmen’s fortification,’ implying that oxen were once kept here. Perhaps ‘fortification of the people of Yrtla’. Alternatively, the first element could be an Old English ‘yrthling,’ which could be a bird like a wren, wagtail, or lapwing. Bird names are frequently used to create compounds with the Old English word ‘burh.’
In the eighth century, Irthlingborough was known as Yrtlingaburg, Erdiburn in the Domesday Book, and Artleborough later. Around 790, King Offa of Mercia held court near Irthlingborough.
John Pyel, the mayor of London in 1372, is thought to have been born in Irthlingborough around 1310.
Pyel obtained a royal license in 1375 to establish the college of St. Peter, Irthlingborough, by renovating the parish church of St. Peter. The college was to have six secular canons, one dean, and four clerks, but he died before his plan could be realized. Joan, his widow, eventually completed the design in 1388.
In the past, ironstone was mined near Irthlingborough, and a tunnel was bored between Irthlingborough and nearby Finedon as part of the local ironstone mine. The tunnel is still in place, but the Irthlingborough end has been landscaped and the Finedon end has been sealed with concrete. Irthlingborough railway station closed to passengers in 1964.
Irthlingborough began mining iron ore in 1918. Richard Thomas & Baldwin’s Ltd. owned and operated the mine, and the ore was shipped to RTB’s Redbourne steelworks in Scunthorpe. The ore was extracted from an underground tunnel system 80-100 feet below the surface. On September 30, 1965, the mine was closed because it was no longer profitable.
The River Nene floodplains between the town and its neighbor, Higham Ferrers, have recently been quarried for gravel. Quarrying was widespread in the area, extending from Northampton in the west (upstream) to Thorpe Waterville in the north-northeast (downstream). The quarries were later abandoned and filled with water to create artificial lakes.
The Wildlife Trust purchased the land in 2012, and it has since been transformed into Irthlingborough Lakes and Meadows, a nature reserve. The Upper Nene Valley Special Protection Area will include it.
The A6 used to run through town, but it was bypassed to the north in the 1930s. The former route is known as the B5348. The Irthlingborough Viaduct, which opened in 1936, connects the town to Higham Ferrers and the busy A45. The A45 (former A605) is a more reliable road than the A6, as it is less twisty and has fewer tractors in traffic.