Powerflush nearby to Kettering
Kettering is a market and industrial town in the English county of Northamptonshire. It is 83 miles (134 kilometers) north of London and 15 miles (24 kilometers) north-east of Northampton, west of the River Ise, a tributary of the River Nene. The name derives from the phrase “the place (or territory) of Ketter’s people (or kinsfolk).”
Kettering’s built-up area had a population of 63,675 according to the 2011 census.
It, along with other towns in Northamptonshire, is part of the South Midlands.
The Midland Main Line railway has a growing commuter population, with East Midlands Railway services direct to London St Pancras International taking about an hour.
We offer cleaning out rust in these postcode areas:
Kettering is defined as “the location (or territory) of Ketter’s people (or kinsfolk).”
Although the origin of the name appears to have baffled place-name scholars in the 1930s, words and place-names ending with “-ing” usually derive from the Anglo-Saxon or Old English suffix -inga or -ingas, meaning “the people of the” or “tribe.”
Prior to the Romans, the area, like much of Northamptonshire’s prehistoric countryside, appears to have been somewhat resistant to early human occupation, resulting in an apparently sparse population and few finds from the Palaeolithic, Mesolithic, and Neolithic periods.
Around 500 BC, a continental people known as the Hallstatt culture introduced the Iron Age into the area, and over the next century a series of hillforts were built, the closest to Kettering being at nearby Irthlingborough.
From the early 1st century BC, the Kettering area, like most of what later became Northamptonshire, became part of the territory of the Catuvellauni, a Belgic tribe, with Northamptonshire serving as their most northerly possession.
In AD 43, the Catuvellauni were conquered by the Romans.
The town’s origins can be traced back to an early, unwalled Romano-British settlement, the ruins of which can be found beneath the modern town’s northern part. There is evidence that a significant amount of iron smelting took place on the site while it was occupied until the 4th century. This area of Northamptonshire, along with the Forest of Dean and the Wealds of Kent and Sussex, “was one of the three great centres of iron-working in Roman Britain.” The settlement extended as far as the parishes of Weekley and Geddington. However, it is thought that the site was not continuously occupied from the Romano-British era to the Anglo-Saxon era. Pottery kilns have also been discovered in the nearby villages of Barton Seagrave and Boughton.
Saxon excavations in the early twentieth century on either side of Stamford road (A43), near the former Prime Cut factory (now the Warren public house), revealed an extensive early Saxon burial site with at least a hundred cremation urns dating from the 5th century AD. This suggests that it was one of the first Anglo-Saxon incursions into what became England’s interior. The prefix Wic- of the nearby village of Weekley may also indicate Anglo-Saxon activity in the area; Greenall speculates that it could be “an indication of foederati, Anglo-Saxon mercenaries brought in to strengthen the Empire’s defenses.” his was established imperial policy, which the Romano-British continued after Rome left Britain around 410, with disastrous consequences for the Romano-Britons.
The lands that would become Northamptonshire were part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia by the 7th century.
Following the death of the pagan king Penda in 654, the Mercians converted to Christianity.
Beginning around 889, the Kettering area, along with much of Northamptonshire (and, at one point, almost all of England except for Athelney marsh in Somerset), was conquered by the Danes and became part of the Danelaw, with the ancient trackway of Watling Street serving as the border, until it was recaptured by the English in 917 under the Wessex king Edward the Elder, son of Alfred the Great. Northamptonshire was conquered once more in 940, this time by the Vikings of York, who devastated the area, only for the English to retake it in 942.
However, it is unlikely that Kettering existed as a village before the 10th century (the county of Northampton itself is not referenced in documents before 1011).
Prior to this time, the Kettering area was most likely populated by a sparsely distributed cluster of family farmsteads. The first historical mention of Kettering is in a charter from 956, in which King Edwy granted lfsige the Goldsmith ten “cassati” of land. Most inhabitants would have recognized the boundaries delineated in this charter over the last thousand years, and they can still be walked today. It is possible that lfsige gave Kettering to the monastery of Peterborough, as King Edgar confirmed it to that monastery in a charter dated 972.
Kettering manor is listed as owned by the Abbey of Peterborough in the Domesday survey of 1086, with the church owning 10 hides of land. Kettering was worth £11 and had enough land for 16 ploughs. There were 107 acres of meadow, three acres of woodland, two mills, 31 villans, ten ploughs, and one female slave.
The nearby stately home of Boughton House, sometimes referred to as the ‘English Versailles,’ has for centuries been the seat of the Dukes of Buccleuch, major landowners in Kettering and most of the surrounding villages; the two families were joint lords of the manor of Kettering, along with the Watsons of Rockingham Castle.
The Parish church of SS Peter and Paul’s crocketed spire of about 180 feet (55 m) dominates Kettering. Little is known about the church’s origins, with the first known priest becoming rector in 1219–20. The chancel is in the Early Decorated style of around 1300, with the main fabric of the building mostly Perpendicular, having been rebuilt in the mid 15th century (its tower and spire are remarkably similar to St Peter’s Oundle’s tower and spire). It is unknown whether the current structure replaced an earlier church on the site. Inside the church, two medieval wall paintings, one of two angels with feathered wings and one of a now faded saint, can still be seen.
Henry III granted the Bishop of Peterborough the charter for Kettering’s market in 1227.
The seventeenth century
The Newton Rebellion broke out in June 1607 in the nearby village of Newton, resulting in a brief uprising known as the Midland Revolt, which involved several nearby villages. Protesting land enclosures at Newton and Pytchley by local landlords the Treshams, a pitched battle erupted on 8 June between Levellers – many from Kettering, Corby, and especially Weldon, – and local gentry and their servants (local militias having refused the call to arms). It is estimated that 40–50 local men were killed, and the ringleaders were hanged, drawn, and quartered. The Newton rebellion was one of the last times that the English peasantry and gentry were openly at odds.
By the 17th century, the town had become a woollen cloth manufacturing center.