Powerflush nearby to Wellingborough
Wellingborough is a market town in the North Northamptonshire unitary authority area, in the ceremonial county of Northamptonshire, England, 11 miles (18 km) north of Northampton on the Nene River.
Originally known as “Wendelingburgh” (the stronghold of Waendel’s people), the Anglo-Saxon settlement is referred to as “Wendelburie” in the Domesday Book of 1086. King John granted the town a royal market charter in 1201. The town’s built-up area had a population of 50,577 according to the 2011 census. Wilby, Great Doddington, Little Irchester, and Redhill Grange are also part of the Wellingborough built-up area.
We offer cleaning out rust in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
The town was founded during the Anglo-Saxon period and was known as “Wendelingburgh.” It is surrounded by five wells, which appear on its coat of arms: Redwell, Hemmingwell, Witche’s Well, Lady’s Well, and Whytewell. On July 14, 1627, Henrietta Maria arrived with her physician, Théodore de Mayerne, to take the waters.
The mediaeval town of Wellingborough housed a modest monastic grange – now the Jacobean Croyland Abbey – that was an offshoot of Crowland (or Croyland) Abbey, some 30 miles (48 km) downriver. Croyland is the name given to this section of town.
All Hallows Church, which dates from around 1160, is the oldest existing structure in Wellingborough. Crowland Abbey Lincolnshire owned the manor of Wellingborough since Saxon times, and the monks are thought to have built the original church. The Norman doorway leading in from the later south porch is the oldest part of the structure. The church was expanded with the addition of more side chapels, and by the end of the 13th century, it had taken on its current form. The west tower, crowned with a graceful broach spire rising to 160 feet (49 m), was finished around 1270, and the chancel was rebuilt and given the east window twenty years later. Edmund Francis Law restored the church in 1861. Ninian Comper designed the Church of St Mary in the twentieth century.
King John granted a Market Charter to the “Abbot of Croyland and the monks serving God there” on 3 April 1201 and continued, “they shall have a market at Wendligburg (Wellingborough) for one day each week, that is Wednesday.”
Sir Christopher Hatton, Lord of the Manor during the Elizabethan period, was a supporter of Sir Francis Drake’s expeditions, and Drake renamed one of his ships the Golden Hind after the Hatton family’s heraldic symbol. The Hind Hotel, a hotel in a Grade II listed building built in the 17th century, was also known as the Golden Hind Hotel.
During the Civil War, the Battle of Naseby in 1645 was the most significant conflict in the area, though a minor skirmish in the town resulted in the death of a parliamentarian officer, Captain John Sawyer. Severe retaliation ensued, with a group of Roundheads transporting the parish priest, Thomas Jones, and 40 prisoners to Northampton. However, after the Civil War, Wellingborough became home to a Digger colony. There is very little information available about this time period.
On Monday, August 3, 1942, Wellingborough was bombed during World War II. Six people were killed and 55 others were injured; fortunately, because it was a bank holiday, thousands of people were attending a fair in a nearby village. The attack damaged many houses and other buildings in the town’s centre.
The town originally had two railway stations: the first, Wellingborough London Road, opened in 1845 and closed in 1966, and connected Peterborough and Northampton. The second station, Wellingborough Midland Road, remains open and serves trains to London and the East Midlands. Since then, the ‘Midland Road’ prefix has been dropped from the station’s name.  The Midland Road station, which opened in 1857 with trains serving Kettering and, later, Corby, was linked to London St Pancras in 1867. In the Wellingborough rail accident in 1898, six or seven people died and approximately 65 were injured. In the 1880s, two businessmen held a public meeting to discuss the construction of three tram lines in Wellingborough. The group merged with a similar company in Newport Pagnell, which began laying tram tracks, but the plans were abandoned after two years due to a lack of funds.
The town is located on the hills adjacent to the River Nene’s flood plain. This combination of fertile, if flood-prone, valley bottom soils and drier (but heavier and more clay-rich) hillside/hilltop soils appears to have been good for a mixed agricultural base during the predominantly agrarian mediaeval period. The clay-rich hilltop soils are primarily the result of the area being blanketed with boulder clay or glacial till during recent glaciations. However, on the valley sides and valley floor, these deposits were washed away by the late glacial period, and in the valley bottom, extensive deposits of gravels were laid down, which were largely exploited for building aggregate in the last century.
Ore of iron
The Northampton Sands ironstone formation is the most economically important aspect of the area’s geology. This is a Jurassic (Bajocian stage) marine sand that was deposited as part of an estuary sequence and is overlain by a sequence of limestones and mudrocks. Iron minerals have replaced or displaced a significant amount of the sand, resulting in an average ore grade of around 25 wt percent iron. To the west, iron ores have been mined for a long time, but their high phosphorus content made them difficult to smelt and produced iron of poor quality until the development of the Bessemer steel-making process and “basic slag” smelting chemistry, which combined to make high-quality steelmaking possible from these unappealing ores. In the run-up to World War II, the Northampton Sands were a strategic resource for the United Kingdom, as they had the best-developed bulk iron-producing processes that were completely independent of imported materials. However, because the Northampton Sands share the east-southeast regional dip of all the sediments in this part of Britain, they become increasingly difficult to work as one moves east across the county.
From the 1860s to the 1960s, iron ore quarrying was a major industry in and around Wellingborough. In 1870, James Rixon and William Ashwell established a major ironworks on the north side of town, supplying the extensive ironstone quarries around Finedon to the east of town. The iron ore industry was served by three narrow gauge tramways: the Wellingborough Tramway, Neilson’s Tramway, and the Finedonhill Tramway. Until 1966, the Wellingborough Tramway served Rixon’s ironworks.
Wellingborough has an oceanic climate (Köppen climate classification), which is similar to that of the majority of the British Isles.