Powerflush nearby to Arnold
Arnold is a market town and unincorporated community in the Borough of Gedling, in the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire, in the English East Midlands. It is located north-east of Nottingham’s city limits. Arnold has the most populous town centre in the Borough of Gedling and the most important town centre in the northeastern part of the Greater Nottingham conurbation. Arnold is the seat of Gedling Borough Council. Arnold has had a market since 1968, and the town used to have many factories associated with the hosiery industry.
Arnold has been the headquarters of Nottinghamshire Police since 1979. Arnold had a population of 37,768 people according to the 2011 United Kingdom census.
Arnold includes the communities of Daybrook, Woodthorpe, Redhill, Warren Hill, Killisick, and Dorket Head.
Read more here for cleaning out rust in heating systems in these postcode areas:
Brewery at Home
The Home Brewery, founded in 1875 by John Robinson, was famous for its trademark Robin Hood logo on beermats. The brewery got its name from the Robinson family’s Bestwood Home Farm on Oxclose Lane.
The Home Brewery Company Limited was incorporated at Companies House on August 29, 1890. On April 2, 1982, the company was re-registered as Home Brewery plc, a public limited company. The brewery remained independent until 1986, when the family owners sold it to Scottish & Newcastle for £123 million (equivalent to £298 million in 2019) along with 450 pubs in Nottinghamshire. Scottish & Newcastle gradually reduced production by subcontracting brewing to Mansfield Brewery, resulting in the Daybrook building’s closure in 1996. The brewery’s closure resulted in the loss of approximately 400 jobs and approximately £20 million to the local economy (equivalent to £30.5 million in 2019). With the incorporation of Home Brewery Limited on April 7, 2014, the company reverted to its original legal status as a private company. The company is still owned by Heineken UK and has an active but non-trading status at Companies House.
The Home Brewery office building in Daybrook is most likely the town’s most notable landmark. The current building, which dates from 1936 and is now officially known as ‘Sir John Robinson House,’ houses more than 30,000 square feet (2,800 square metres) of Nottinghamshire County Council offices and has a total floor area of 41,032 square feet (3,812.0 m2). The entire site, including its 180-space car park, is 1.89 acres (0.76 hectares) in size and is located at the intersection of the A60 (Mansfield Road) and Sir John Robinson Way. The architect of the three-story, Grade II listed building was Thomas Cecil Howitt, and the illuminated ‘Home of the Best Ales’ sign on the tower was changed to replace the word ‘Ales’ with the county council’s ‘n’ logo. Along the front wall, an unusual frieze by sculptor Charles Doman depicts groups of putti engaged in beer brewing. In an ABCABC/CBACBA pattern, three designs are repeated. The reliefs are white casts with a 2:3 proportion. ‘A’ depicts a drinking table, ‘B’ depicts barrel-making, and ‘C’ depicts brew stirring—all allegories of the brewing process. The famed decorative ironwork gates and railings are contemporaneous and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Park named after King George V
In 1950, the Home Brewery Company Ltd. donated land for Arnold’s King George V Park, a permanent memorial to King George V with free public access in perpetuity. The Charity Commission conducted an investigation into restricted public access, which concluded in December 2005. As a result of this ruling, Arnold Town F.C. has relocated away from the town centre to another Arnold ground known as Eagle Valley. A skatepark worth £110,000 was opened at the playing field in July 2014.
Today’s Home Ales and Home Brewery brands
After acquiring a licence from Heineken International, entrepreneur Nick Whitehurst (who used to live in Daybrook near the brewery) revived the Home Ales brand that was once part of the Home Brewery Co., Ltd. in 2015. The beers are made by Oldershaw Brewery, which is located in the Lincolnshire village of Barkston, near Grantham.
In 2014, Lincoln Green Brewery of Hucknall, in collaboration with Everards Brewery of Leicester, purchased the Robin Hood pub on the corner of Church Street and Cross Street and renamed it the “Robin Hood and Little John.” The pub was founded in 1750 and was named the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) National Cider Pub of the Year in 2015, as well as the Nottingham CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year and Nottingham CAMRA Pub of the Year. It has a shrine dedicated to the Home Brewery.
Knitting Industry Framework
In the nineteenth century, Arnold was a hub of the framework knitting industry. On 11 March 1811, it was the site of the first framebreaking incidents of the Luddite riots, when 63 frames were smashed. The Luddite riots were a reaction by workers to decreasing pay, living standards, and working conditions in the industry as a result of changing fashions reducing demand for their style of hosiery.