Powerflush nearby to Beeston
Beeston is a town in the Borough of Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, England, located 3.4 miles (5.5 kilometres) south-west of Nottingham city centre. University Park, the main campus of the University of Nottingham, is located to the north-east. The headquarters of the pharmaceutical and retail chemist group Boots are located 0.6 mile (1 km) east of the centre of Beeston, on the border with Broxtowe and the City of Nottingham. The River Trent and the village of Attenborough, both of which have extensive wetlands, are located to the south.
Read more for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
At the time of the Conquest, the Saxons Alfag, Alwine, and UIchel had three manors in Bestune, each consisting of three carucates of land. These were taken from them and given to William Peverel, Lord of Nottingham Castle, who had in his demesne two plough teams, 17 bond tenants known as villeins, who were unable to leave the estate without the lord’s permission and each farmed 15 acres (6.1 ha) of arable, and one ordinary tenant or sochman. They had nine plough teams in total. The meadow covered 24 acres (9.7 ha). The estate’s annual yield was 30 shillings.
The nineteenth century
Beeston’s village status as a silk weaving centre faded in the early nineteenth century. During the Reform Bill riots of 1831, the first silk mill was destroyed (along with Nottingham Castle). With the decline of the silk industry in the early twentieth century, many former mills were converted to light industrial uses. Beeston Boiler Company equipment can still be found all over the former British Empire.
Between 1880 and the turn of the century, Thomas Humber and partners built bicycles, then motorbikes and cars at a factory on what is now Queens Road and Humber Road. It employed 2000 people at its peak, but this abruptly ended in 1907 when the firm relocated to Coventry.
The twentieth century
The National Telephone Company established a telephone materials factory in Beeston in 1901. In 1903, the British L.M. Ericsson Manufacturing Co. Ltd. took over. Shortly before the transfer, the majority of the old factory was destroyed by fire, and it was rebuilt. A new power station was constructed. In 1906, a large building was constructed, primarily for cabinet work.
Through the 1980s, these large premises remained a major source of employment under the Plessey name. With GEC’s help, Plessey became GPT. With the various restructurings of the GEC group and its rebranding as Marconi, much of the site, as well as the private telephone network side of the business, was sold to Siemens. Siemens sublet a large portion of the site as a “business park.”
SMS Electronics was formed in 2003 as a result of a management buyout of Siemens’ manufacturing facility. It received the Queen’s Award for Export in 2012 and employs over 200 people. HSBC purchased the entire site in 2006 for a mixed-use “employment-led” redevelopment. A building for Atos Origin was built in 2007.
The Boots campus contains three listed modernist buildings (two Grade I, one Grade II) designed by engineer Owen Williams, though they are difficult to see from the outside. It also has a later, Grade II* listed Skidmore, Owings & Merrill building.
In 1987, the Middlebridge Company established a small factory in Lilac Grove and produced 77 Scimitar cars, bringing motor manufacturing back to Beeston for a brief period. In 1990, the company went bankrupt.
Beeston Maltings operated until the late twentieth century. The buildings were located on Dovecote Lane, directly across from the Victoria Hotel, and were demolished in 2012–2013.
The twenty-first century
Due to traffic congestion, the government approved proposals for a light rail (tram) line through Beeston as an extension to the Nottingham Express Transit system in 2009. Local traders and others along the proposed route were opposed, fearing business losses during the construction period. However, a survey conducted by Nottingham Express Transit in 2004 found widespread support for the scheme. The line went live on August 25, 2015.
Beeston’s built-up area was expanded in the mid-20th century to include the former villages of Chilwell to the west and Wollaton and Lenton Abbey to the north. The Beeston Fields Golf Course separates Beeston from Bramcote to the north-west. The town’s eastern edge is essentially formed by the Broxtowe/City of Nottingham border. To the north of the railway line is the city centre and shopping district. Beeston Rylands, a mixed residential and industrial area, is located to the line’s south.
Rylands of Beeston
The Rylands began as a small settlement around Beeston Lock, with a few tens of houses and two pubs. The name now encompasses the entire area south of the railway line. The Jolly Angler was originally located on the canal’s river side, but has since relocated. Beeston began to spread south of the railway line in the late 1800s, when a few Victorian villas were built near the station’s level crossing.
Several housing estates were built in the early twentieth century to house workers at Ericssons and Boots, both of which had large factories south of the railway line. Alexander Wilson designed a significant development of 900 houses on a 57-acre (23 ha) estate called Cliftonside from 1934 to 1939. Beeston and the Rylands were joined by these estates. Following the Second World War, additional development filled in the gaps, initially with an estate of council houses and flats, and later with private houses and bungalows. The last significant development, in 1970, was Meadow Farm: four roads of timber-framed semi-detached houses between Beech Avenue and the canal. Beeston Rylands has seen a small amount of infill development since then.
Beeston Rylands was historically vulnerable to flooding from the Trent River to the south. This reduced property values as well as the size of houses built there, primarily for the rental market. The last major flood, in 1947, went beyond the railway line, flooding most of Queens Road as well as Nether Street. Flooding is now only a possibility once every fifty years, thanks to improved flood defences. A series of flood-defence improvements, costing £51 million and designed to decrease the expected flood incidence to once in a hundred years, began in 2009 along a 17 miles (27 km) stretch of the Trent.