Powerflush nearby to Farnsfield
Farnsfield is a large village and civil parish in Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire. It is located in the Newark and Sherwood local government district. The civil parish had a population of 2,731 as of the 2011 Census, up from 2,681 in the 2001 United Kingdom Census.
The village is located in a predominantly agricultural area. Farnsfield has no major industries or employers. The majority of working-age residents commute to work, primarily in Nottingham, Mansfield, or Newark.
Farnsfield has a small Co-op supermarket and Post Office, as well as a village bakery, butcher, greengrocer, and other small shops. There are two churches (Anglican and Methodist), a large primary school, and two public houses in the village (The Plough Inn and The Lion).
The Southwell Trail, a former railway line that dates back to 1842 and has been adapted as a multi-user route for foot, cycle, and horseback riding, runs directly to the north of the village. Off Station Lane, there is a free trail parking lot.
During World War II, an RAF Halifax bomber MZ519-LKU crashed on the village’s south side in 1944. Everyone on board was killed. A large memorial has been erected near the crash site.
Learn more here for powerflushing service in heating systems in these postcode areas:
The parish church of St Michael was built before the Reformation in the 15th century. Following a fire in the mid-nineteenth century, it was rebuilt between 1859 and 1860 by Thomas Chambers Hine and Robert Evans. Only a portion of the tower from the 15th-century structure remains. The parish falls under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham.
Several sites in the area have evidence of ancient Roman and earlier occupation. The remains of a small Roman marching camp, marked by a small Roman fort, can be found to the south of the village, along the footpath to Oxton. There are no standing structures in the fields, but the outlines of the structures can be seen on aerial photos, including the satellite view on Google Maps. A small oval earthwork is located one mile south-west of the village. A bank and ditch encircle the remains of a hillfort at Combs Farm. This fort appears to be Romano-British in origin, based on excavated material. The remaining traces of an Iron Age earthwork, a hillfort, are two ditches in a wood at Camp Hill, 112 miles north-east of Farnsfield. Researchers estimated it to be 40 acres (16 ha) in size in the 18th century. Both the Roman camp and the ancient hillfort at Combs Farm are Scheduled Monuments.
On Siding Lane (grid reference SK644572), there was a tower windmill depicted as a ‘old windmill’ on an 1898 map. In August 1935, it was recorded as a shell, missing the cap and fantail. At one point, the mill was owned by a miller named Whitehead, who also milled at Edingley Watermill. It was powered by a gas engine when in use.
The Good Intent Windmill (grid reference SK639571) was a tower mill constructed around 1820 for Holliday, a Farnsfield resident. Material for the mill was carted in from Fiskerton. The tower had six storeys, was brick-built, and was untarred, with four sweeps driving three pairs of stones (1 French and 2 grey). William Shaw ran the mill until he was succeeded by his son Alec in 1893. The mill was sold to George Hutchinson, who ran it for a few years before dismantling the machinery and demolishing the tower around 1915.
Bower’s post windmill was discovered near the Junction Inn.
On the 6th of July 1944, an RAF Halifax bomber MZ519-LKU crashed on the village’s south side on its way back to RAF Burn near York. The Halifax was on its way to destroy a V1 flying bomb site in Nazi-occupied France. All of the crew members from Canada and the United Kingdom were killed. At the crash site, a large memorial was erected. A grove of English oaks and Canadian maples was planted in their honour.
The Farnsfield Millennium Trust published A History of Farnsfield in 2000. They also created an oral history based on recordings of local residents and related transcripts, which were distributed to local schools. Barbara Coulam, a local artist, has illustrated a copy of the book that is available in the library.
Farnsfield has a sister city relationship with the French village of Andouillé.
Lady Florence Goodwin, the wife of philanthropist Sir Stuart Goodwin, who was High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire in 1955, inspired the Lady Goodwin Play Park on Station Lane.