Powerflush nearby to Hucknall
Hucknall, formerly Hucknall Torkard, is a market town in the Nottinghamshire district of Ashfield. It is located seven miles north of Nottingham, seven miles south of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, nine miles north of Mansfield, and ten miles south of Sutton-in-Ashfield. After Sutton-in-Ashfield, it is the second largest town in the Ashfield district.
Check this for cleaning out limescale in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
Hucknall used to be a bustling market town. The Church of St Mary Magdalene, located next to the town’s market square, serves as its focal point.
The church was built by the Anglo-Saxons and finished after the Norman Conquest, though its mediaeval chancel, nave, north aisle, and tower were greatly restored and enlarged during the Victorian era. A south aisle was added in 1872, and unusually long transepts were added in 1887, while the rest of the building, except for the tower, was thoroughly restored. The top tower stage and the south porch were built in the 14th century. There are 25 stained-glass windows by Charles Eamer Kempe, most of which were installed in the 1880s, as well as a small memorial to Lord Byron.
From 1295 to 1915, the town was known as Hucknall Torkard, after the name of a dominant landowning family, Torcard. Some older buildings still bear the previous name.
Throughout the Leen Valley, including Hucknall, coal was discovered and mined extensively during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. This brought prosperity to the town as well as three railway lines. The first was the Midland Railway (later LMS) line from Nottingham to Mansfield and Worksop, which closed to passengers on October 12, 1964, but continued to serve collieries at Hucknall, Linby, and Annesley. In its later years, the Hucknall station on this line was known as Hucknall Byron. The line was reopened to passengers in stages throughout the 1990s as the Robin Hood Line, with the section through Hucknall opening in 1993, with a new station on the site of the old “Byron,” though simply called Hucknall. The second route was the Great Northern Railway (later LNER) route up the Leen Valley and on to Shirebrook, which served many of the same locations as the Midland south of Annesley. It closed to passengers on September 14, 1931, but remained in use for freight until March 25, 1968. Hucknall Town was the name of the station on this line. The third was the Great Central Railway (also known as the LNER), which opened on March 15, 1899, as the final main line from the north of England to London. The section through Hucknall officially closed on September 5, 1966, but Hucknall Central station had closed earlier, on March 4, 1963.
Hucknall was the seat of Hucknall Urban District Council from 1894 to 1974. Local government was transferred to Ashfield after the UDC was abolished.
The Church of St Peter and St Paul, Hucknall, was built in 1956 to serve the western parts of Hucknall.
Hucknall is located 7 miles (11 kilometres) north of Nottingham on the west bank of the Leen Valley, on land that rises from the Trent Valley in the south and extends north to Kirkby-in-Ashfield. The Whyburn, also known as Town Brook, runs through the town centre. Its southern boundary is marked by Farleys Brook. Because of the large number of housing and industrial estates on the town’s south side. Hucknall is connected to the larger City of Nottingham by the suburbs of Bulwell and Bestwood Village to the south and southeast, respectively.
Long Hill, at 460 feet (140 metres) above sea level, provides views of the city and Trent Valley, which descends to 22–24 metres (72–79 feet) AOD and flows just beyond most of the city centre.
Farmland or parkland surrounds the town. Misk Hills and Annesley are located to the north-west. The villages of Linby and Papplewick are to the north-east of the town, and beyond these two is Newstead Abbey and its grounds, which was once Lord Byron’s residence. To the west is Eastwood, D. H. Lawrence’s birthplace and the inspiration for many of his novels and short stories. Bestwood Country Park is located to the east of town.
The contiguous settlements of Butler’s Hill and Westville appear on maps as separate entities, but are generally regarded as parts of Hucknall. They are part of its historic and current Church of England parish, despite the fact that the town has no civil parish council. The shared wards of Hucknall and being part of the post town reinforce the identity.