Powerflush nearby to Mansfield
Mansfield is a market town in Nottinghamshire, England, and the administrative centre of Mansfield District. It is the most populous town in the Mansfield Urban Area (followed by Sutton-in-Ashfield). In 1227, it was granted a Royal Charter as a market town. The town is located in the Maun Valley, approximately 12 miles (19 kilometres) north of Nottingham and near Sutton-in-Ashfield. The town itself (including Mansfield Woodhouse) is home to the majority of the 106,556 residents, with Warsop serving as a secondary hub. Mansfield is the only local authority in Nottinghamshire with a mayor who is elected by the people.
View more for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
The Roman Period
The King held the Royal Manor of Mansfield. Edward the Confessor owned a manor in Mansfield in 1042. William the Conqueror later owned two carucates, five sochmans, and thirty-five villains in Mansfield, as well as twenty borders, nineteen carucates and a half in demesne, a mill, piscary, and twenty-four acres of meadow and pasture. King John owned the Manor in 1199. The Manor was then owned by King Henry III, who passed it to Henry de Hastings. Queen Isabella, Edward III’s mother, was the Lady of the Manor of Mansfield in 1329.
The settlement dates back to the Roman era. Major Hayman Rooke discovered a villa between Mansfield Woodhouse and Pleasley in 1787; in 1849, a cache of denarii was discovered near King’s Mill. Early English royalty stayed there, and the Mercian Kings used it as a base for hunting in Sherwood Forest.
The settlement was recorded in the Domesday Book (1086) as Mammesfeld, and market-competition documents from 1227 spelled it Maunnesfeld. In November 1377, King Richard II signed a warrant granting tenants the right to hold a four-day fair each year; the spelling had changed to Mannesfeld. The ruins of the 12th-century King John’s Palace can be found in Clipstone, between Mansfield and Edwinstowe, and it served as a retreat for royal families and dignitaries until the 15th century. The town was reached by road from Nottingham on the way to Sheffield. In 1988, a commemorative plaque and a nearby tree were erected in the town centre to mark the location once thought to be the heart of Sherwood Forest. In 2005, the plaque was refurbished and relocated to a ground-planth.
During King Henry VIII’s reign, an act of parliament granted the Manor to Thomas, Duke of Norfolk. The Dukes of Newcastle and Portland then inherited the Manor.
the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
Travellers in the 16th and 17th centuries had several mediaeval inns and stable yards to stop at:
the Harte; the Swan (with a 1490 dating stone); the Talbot; the White Bear; the Ram (with pre- 1500 timber); and the White Lion. Several timber-framed cruck buildings were demolished in 1929, and a local historical society documented another during demolition in 1973, dating from 1400 or earlier. Other Tudor houses in Stockwell Gate, Bridge St, and Lime Tree Place were also demolished before they could be viewed for listing. The majority of the remaining structures date from the 17th century.
The nineteenth century
Mansfield was described by William Horner Groves in 1894 as “one of the quaintest and healthiest towns in the Midland counties, is the market town for an agricultural district of eight miles around it.” It is the capital of Nottinghamshire’s Broxtowe Hundred and the name of a county Parliamentary Division.
Markets from the past
Mansfield is a market town with a 700-year-old market tradition; it received a Royal Charter in 1227. The current market square was built after demolition under the 1823 Improvement Act. The Bentinck Memorial, built in 1849, commemorates Lord George Bentinck (1802–1848), son of local landowner William Bentinck, 4th Duke of Portland.
A nearby area called Buttercross Market in West Gate, the site of an old cattle market, has a 16th-century centrepiece made of local stone.
In 2015, Mansfield District Council closed this section. Mansfield Library, which was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth in 1977 and was renovated in 2012, is located nearby. The old Carnegie Library on Leeming Street, which opened in 1905, has been used as an arts and performance centre since 1976.
Mansfield has a temperate oceanic climate (Köppen: Cfb), with a narrow temperature range, an even distribution of rainfall, low levels of sunshine, and frequently breezy conditions all year. Mansfield’s nearest weather station records come from Warsop in Meden Vale, seven miles to the north.
The area’s absolute maximum temperature record is 34.6 °C (94.3 °F), set in August 1990. In a typical year, the warmest day should be 28.9 °C (84.0 °F) or higher, with 12.72 days reaching 25.1 °C (77.2 °F) or higher.
The area’s absolute minimum temperature record is 19.1 °C (2.4 °F), set in January 1987. Air frost occurs on 59 nights per year on average.
Rainfall averages 634 mm per year, with 113 days receiving more than 1 mm (observation period 1971–2000).