Powerflush nearby to Old Clipstone
Kings Clipstone (previously known as Old Clipstone) is the oldest part of the village, with some old stone buildings and a relatively ‘undeveloped’ character. Kings Clipstone is a civil parish and settlement in the Newark and Sherwood district of Nottinghamshire, England. The parish is located in the west of the county and to the north-west of the district. It is 122 miles north of London, 15 miles north of Nottingham, and 5 miles north east of Mansfield, a market town. The parish had 318 residents in 2011. Clipstone village, Edwinstowe, Rufford, and Warsop are all included in the parish. The parish was previously part of the larger Clipstone parish, but it became a separate parish on April 1, 2011. The location is in Sherwood Forest, which is well known for the Robin Hood legend.
Read more here for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
The earliest material from Clipstone that can be dated is from the Bronze Age. These materials included a spearhead and an arrowhead. In the vicinity of New Clipstone, there is also a suspected ring ditch, which is thought to be a ploughed out round barrow.
English Heritage’s National Mapping Project data shows a number of cropmarks recorded from aerial photography in the northern quarter of Kings Clipstone parish, representing rectilinear field systems associated with smaller stock enclosures and possibly domestic sites. Typologically, and based on their orientation, these are thought to be part of the late Iron Age brickwork plan field system that stretches across the Sherwood Sandstones.
The Roman era
Pottery from the time period has been discovered at Kings Clipstone as a result of Philip Rahtz’s excavation in 1956 and Trent and Peak Archaeology’s watching brief and fieldwalking in 1991, but the context of the finds has never been determined. There have also been metal detector finds of two Roman brooches, a small coin hoard, and an arrowhead within the parish. The adjacent parish of Mansfield Woodhouse has a possible Roman road (Leeming Lane) and a marching camp at Roman Bank. Major Hayman Rooke, an antiquarian, discovered a small villa site to the north-west in 1780.
Early mediaeval epoch
Four pieces of late Saxon shelly ware pottery were discovered during a fieldwalk in Castlefield in 1991, but they are unlikely to be anything more than a background scatter associated with the manuring of the open fields. These four pieces of pottery are Potterhanworth Ware from the 13th–15th centuries. Prior to Domesday, Osbern and Ulsi held the two manors of Kings Clipstone, and the value was set at 60 shillings (£3). Ulsi, in particular, was a wealthy landowner with manors in Greasley, Strelley, Sutton, and Hodsock.
By 1086, the landowner was Roger de Busli, a great Norman landowner with 163 estates in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, and South Yorkshire.
Parliament Oak and King John’s Palace
The two main articles are King John’s Palace and Parliament Oak.
The ruins of King John’s Palace are the walls of a former mediaeval royal residence that was used for hunting trips into Sherwood Forest. While there is no conclusive evidence that King John built the mediaeval royal residence, there were known to be 1400 acres of forested deer park (and 70 acres of rabbit warrens) next to the village that were used by royal hunting parties. From Henry II in 1181 to Richard II in 1393, it grew into a large palace complex that was visited by all of the Plantagenet Kings. The palace grounds were the largest in the country by the 13th century, covering seven acres. The buildings were in an area that had been enclosed in 1180 to help contain the deer that made the area appealing for hunting. This was also the location of the Great Pond, which housed fish and wildfowl (now known as the Dog and Duck Meadow). Furthermore, King John is said to have held a parliament at the nearby Parliament Oak in 1212, as was Edward I in 1290.
After the Palace had fallen into disrepair, a new manor house in the village was built at some point. The’site of the late castle’ was mentioned in 1568, implying that the palace had been demolished. It appears that stone from the palace on Squires Lane was used to construct a new manor house. On March 11, 1603, James I granted the manor of Clipstone to Lord Mountjoy, 7th Earl Shrewsbury (victim of the Battle of Kinsale in 1601). The estates remained in the same family for the next 350 years, passing through marriage or death from Shrewsbury to the Dukes of Newcastle and Portland. The Hall eventually met the same fate as the palace, and by 1710 it had fallen into disrepair, with the stone being reused for other structures. By 1844, a blacksmith shop was operating on top of the Hall’s ruins.
In the 17th century, George Sitwell, an ironmaster, mined iron locally and built a furnace here. Much of the local forest was cleared to make charcoal for fuel.
Riots in Clipstone
The Duke of Portland was involved in a number of prosecutions of locals for entering the forest park and causing disturbances in 1767. Local labourers retaliated by launching riots.
Meadows of water
The local soil is of poor quality, and the village was described unfavourably in 1832 as being in disrepair. The 4th Duke of Portland was determined to increase the productivity of his land, so he constructed a flood dyke system. The scheme, known as the ‘Water Meadows of Clipstone,’ was built between 1819 and 1837. It was a massive undertaking, stretching for 7.5 miles and covering 300 acres. The flood dykes significantly improved fertility, increasing the area’s agricultural potential. Mining subsidence altered the levels of the dykes during the 1930s, and the system was abandoned in the 1960s. The only remaining channel is in the meadow next to the Dog and Duck public house.
Clipstone Training Camp, located on what was to become Clipstone Colliery, was established after work on the mine area, which began in 1912, was abandoned due to the outbreak of the First World War.
Clipstone Coal Mine
The mine first opened in 1922. It was demolished in April 2003. RJB Mining had owned it since 1993. (now UK Coal). The current headstocks, which are Grade II listed structures, were the tallest in Europe when they were completed in 1953. Clipstone village parish now includes the colliery area.
Forest Park of Sherwood Pines
The forest was originally known as Clipstone Heath and was part of the ancient Sherwood Forest. The Forestry Commission was established by the government in 1919 in response to a wood shortage, and in 1925 they obtained a 999-year lease at the park from the Welbeck and Rufford estates to plant and harvest trees, initially for war purposes, with the body’s goals shifting to preservation and leisure in later years.
There were no private houses in the village until 1945; the majority of the cottages were for estate workers and were owned by the Welbeck estate. However, after the Duke of Portland died in 1943, death duties forced the sale of the properties in May 1945.
A desire by the community to be more identifiable in order to address a number of local needs resulted in a formal request to administratively separate from New Clipstone village and form a parish from the then district ward area for Old Clipstone. Following a public consultation that ended in March 2010, the district council granted the request and enacted it in April 2011, renaming the parish in the process.
Many parish residents live primarily in and around King Clipstone village. Outside of this, there is a light scattering of farms, farmhouses, estate lodges, and cottages in a primarily farmland setting. To the west and north, there are open fields. There are scattered wooded areas throughout the parish, but much of the south contains Sherwood Pines Forest Park, a heavily forested portion of Sherwood Forest with visitor facilities and attractions 0.81 mile (1.3 km) south of the village.
The River Maun forms part of the parish’s western boundary and runs through the parish’s centre, passing close to the core village area.
Vicar Water is a stream that enters the Maun north of the main village.
Elevation of land
At around 60 metres, the banks of the water features are the parish’s lowest point (200 ft). The village is slightly higher, at 65–75 metres (213–246 feet). Peaks of more than 100 metres (330 feet) can be found in the south within Sherwood Pines, and in the north by Windmill Planation/Bradmer Hill, where the A6075 and B6035 meet. The highest point is 116 metres (381 feet) along the west border with the Mansfield district, near the Parliament Oak and another notable vintage tree, Old Churn Oak.