Powerflush nearby to Rainworth
Rainworth is a village in the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire in England’s East Midlands. It is divided into three local government districts: Newark, Sherwood, and Mansfield.
Rainworth is bordered to the north by the village of Clipstone, and to the east by the villages of Bilsthorpe and Farnsfield. Two miles to the west is Mansfield. A mile to the south is the village of Blidworth. The village is bypassed by the A617 dual-carriageway. The Mansfield and Ashfield Regeneration Route began at the roundabout at the western terminus. The B6020 was the previous route through the village.
View this link for cleaning out limescale in heating systems in these postcode areas:
Rainworth began as a settlement near a Roman road that ran through Mansfield and Newark and provided access to the Derbyshire coalfields for the Roman settlements to the east of Nottinghamshire. The area was frequently used as a camp site by travelling Romans due to its sheltered location and access to clean water from the River Idle (now called Rainworth Water). A mighty Roman warrior, Readwald, stayed at the site prior to a battle with Ethelfrith, King of Mercia, in the year 617 AD. Readwald’s son, Regehere, was killed in the battle, and the area became known as Regehere’s Wath after that, and has since been adapted to the modern spelling of Rainworth. Rainworth Lodge was originally built as a hunting lodge in 1190. In 1212, Rufus Clarke lived there and was a member of King John’s hunting parties in the forest. Little is known about the village until the 16th century, when it is mentioned as a peaceful hamlet with 13 dwellings:
Three Thorn Hollow Farm; six houses in the Old Square known as Ramsden Croft; the original Robin Hood Inn, which was later renamed the Sherwood Inn; the toll house known as The Inkpot; and five houses on the road leading to Mansfield.
Rainworth’s residents were either farmers or nurserymen.
There was no public transportation until the opening of the railway line connecting Mansfield and Southwell in 1871, and the only way to get from place to place was to walk. An elm tree, later dubbed the “Tree of Knowledge,” was planted on the village green in front of the Robin Hood Inn in 1879. It became a popular spot for people to meet and talk. When the tree became diseased, it had to be cut down in 1962. Rainworth’s first church, a wooden structure, was built in 1890. It was later replaced by a brick structure, which opened on the feast day of St Simon and St Jude in 1939. Households no longer had to get their water from wells and springs after the pumping station was built outside the Robin Hood Inn in 1895. Two mineshafts were sunk in 1911, signalling the start of work at Rufford Colliery. Only two years later, the colliery experienced its worst pit disaster, killing 13 men in an accident. As the pit prospered, so did the demand for housing, and new housing was constructed along Kirklington Road. The first primary school in Rainworth, Heathlands, opened in 1914. Python Hill School was founded in 1924. Rainworth did not have its own secondary school until 1963, when Joseph Whitaker School opened. The school is named after naturalist Joseph Whitaker, who lived at Rainworth Lodge on Blidworth Lane for most of his life.
Rainworth has experienced both growth and decline. In 1965, the local railway service was discontinued, and the railway station was closed. Rufford Colliery, like many other pits in the area, stopped producing coal in 1993. The colliery provided housing for approximately 400 families, as well as recreational facilities such as a football field and lido (which had fallen into disuse by the end of the war), as well as the Miners’ Welfare. Rufford Colliery closed in 1993 after more than 80 years of operation. The Miners’ Welfare is still in operation, and it has ties to the local football team and bowls club. In 1951, 40 council houses on Kirklington Road, just beyond Python Hill School, were completed. A large housing estate (the Wimpey estate) was built between Station Road and Warsop Lane in the 1950s, and another estate was built beyond the original council estate on Kirklington Road sometime after 1965. This estate was built to house families who had been relocated from mines in North East England; it became known as the Geordie Estate.
In 1975, police officers assisted by locals apprehended killer Donald Neilson (the Black Panther) at the chip shop on Southwell Road East in the village.