Powerflush nearby to Banbury
Banbury is a historic market town in Oxfordshire, England, located on the River Cherwell. According to the 2011 census, it had a population of 46,853.
Banbury is a significant commercial and retail center for the surrounding rural areas of north Oxfordshire and southern Warwickshire and Northamptonshire. The main industries in Banbury are motorsport, car components, electrical goods, plastics, food processing, and printing. Banbury is home to the world’s largest coffee-processing plant (Jacobs Douwe Egberts), which was built in 1964. Banbury cakes, a spiced sweet pastry dish, are famous in the town.
Banbury is 64 miles (103 kilometers) northwest of London, 37 miles (60 kilometers) southeast of Birmingham, 27 miles (43 kilometers) southeast of Coventry, and 22 miles (35 kilometers) northwest of Oxford.
Visit this link for cleaning out rust in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
In 2002, the remains of a British Iron Age settlement with circular buildings dating back to 200 BC were discovered during excavations for the construction of an office building in Hennef Way. Around 150 pieces of pottery and stone were found at the site. Later, in nearby Wykham Park, there was a Roman villa.
Around the late fifth century, the Saxons settled in the area.
Banbury was the site of a battle between the local Anglo-Saxons of Cynric and Ceawlin and the local Romano-British in around 556. By the mid-6th century, it had become a local center for Anglo-Saxon settlement. Banbury grew under Danish influence during the Anglo-Saxon period, beginning in the late 6th century. The Domesday survey valued it at 50 hides, and it was later held by the Bishop of Lincoln.
Banbury was founded by the Saxons on the west bank of the Cherwell River. Grimsbury, which was formerly part of Northamptonshire, was built on the opposite bank. Another district, Neithrop, is one of Banbury’s oldest, having been recorded as a hamlet in the 13th century. In 1889, Grimsbury and Neithrop were formally incorporated into the Banbury borough.
Banbury is located at the crossroads of two ancient roads: Salt Way (which is used as a bridle path to the west and south of the town) and Banbury Lane, which began near Northampton and is closely followed by the modern 22-mile-long (35-kilometer) road. It ran through what is now Banbury’s High Street and on to Stow-on-the-Fosse Wold’s Way. Banbury’s medieval prosperity was based on the production of wool.
Banbury Castle was built by Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln, in 1135 and lasted until the Civil War, when it was besieged. Banbury was once a Royalist town due to its proximity to Oxford, the King’s capital, but the inhabitants were known to be strongly Puritan. Following the war, the castle was demolished.
Banbury was an important base of operations for Oliver Cromwell during the English Civil War, and it is said that he planned the Battle of Edge Hill in the back room (which can still be visited) of a local inn, the Reindeer Inn (today’s Ye Olde Reine Deer Inn).
Although the town was pro-Parliamentarian, the castle was manned by a Royalist garrison loyal to King Charles I. During the Civil War in 1645, Parliamentary troops were billeted in nearby Hanwell, and villagers petitioned the Warwickshire Committee of Accounts to pay for their feeding.
On March 30, 1778, the Oxford Canal from Hawkesbury Junction to Banbury opened, providing the town with a cheap and reliable supply of Warwickshire coal.
The Oxford Canal was extended southwards in 1787, finally reaching Oxford on January 1, 1790.
The original outlay of today’s Tooley’s Boatyard was the canal’s main boat yard.
People’s Park, along with the adjacent bowling green, was established as a private park in 1890 and opened in 1910.
According to Ordnance Survey maps from 1964, 1955, and 1947, the land south of the Foscote Private Hospital in Calthorpe and Easington Farm was mostly open farmland until the early 1960s. It had only a few farmsteads, the odd house, an allotment field (now under Sainsbury’s), the Municipal Borough of Banbury council’s small reservoir just south of Easington Farm, and a water spring to the south. The Ruscote estate, which now has a significant South Asian community, was expanded in the 1950s in response to the town’s growth as a result of London overspill, and it grew further in the mid-1960s.
At the end of 1960, British Railways closed Merton Street railway station and the Buckingham to Banbury line to passenger traffic. Merton Street goods depot handled livestock traffic for Banbury’s cattle market until 1966, when it was also discontinued and the railway was decommissioned. In his poem Great Central Railway, Sheffield Victoria to Banbury, Sir John Betjeman celebrated the line from Culworth Junction in March 1962. This line was also closed by British Railways in 1966.
The main railway station, formerly known as Banbury General, is now served by trains running from London Paddington via Reading and Oxford, from London Marylebone via High Wycombe and Bicester on to Birmingham and Kidderminster, and by Cross Country Trains from Bournemouth to Birmingham and Manchester.
Banbury once had a cattle market.
For many decades, cattle and other farm animals were driven to Merton Street in Grimsbury on the hoof from as far away as Scotland to be sold to feed the growing population of London and other towns. Since its closure in June 1998, a new housing development, including Dashwood Primary School, has been built on the site. The estate, located between Banbury and Hanwell, was constructed on the grounds of Hanwell Farm between 2005 and 2006.
Banbury is located in the Cherwell Valley, and there are numerous hills in and around the town. Aside from the town center, much of Banbury is on a slope, and each entrance into town is downhill. Estates such as Bretch Hill and Hardwick are built on top of a hill, with views of much of the town from both. Other notable hills include Crouch Hill in the suburbs, Pinn Hill in the city center, and Strawberry Hill on the outskirts of Easington. Mine Hill and Rye Hill, among many others, are located to the northeast, southeast, and west of Banbury.
Banbury is situated on the banks of the River Cherwell, which flows through the town and runs just east of the town center, with Grimsbury being the only estate east of the river. Banbury is located in the UK’s South East England region, less than two miles (3 km) from the East Midlands border and three miles (5 km) from the West Midlands border. As a result, it has strong cultural ties with nearby Midlands towns and cities like Stratford-Upon-Avon, Leamington Spa, Coventry, Warwick, and Birmingham.
Because of its proximity to the River Cherwell, Banbury experienced significant flooding in 1998 and 2007. Banbury is surrounded by heavy clay and ironstone deposits.