Powerflush nearby to Islip
Islip is a village and civil parish in Oxfordshire, England, on the River Ray, just above its confluence with the River Cherwell. It is approximately 2 miles (3 kilometers) east of Kidlington and approximately 5 miles (8 kilometers) north of Oxford. The parish had a population of 652 according to the 2011 Census.
We offer cleaning out limescale in these postcode areas:
History of the economy and society
A watermill was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.
The village had a mill until 1949, when it was demolished.
Islip’s common fields system was on the north side of the River Ray when the Domesday Book was compiled. Before 1300, the villagers of Islip assarted (cleared) approximately 200 acres (81 ha) of uncultivated land south of the River Ray and east of the River Cherwell.  and cut it into strips to create a new common field for strip farming. Sart Field was the name given to this farmland in the 1970s.
The 14th century saw the end of week-work in the parish due to the Black Death. This was unpaid labor performed by peasants for the Lord of the Manor, and the number of days per week that the manor could request was fixed. By the harvest of 1357, this system had been reinstated, and it was most likely stopped in Islip in 1386. In March 1540, Sir William Fermor was Steward of the Manor of Islip. Richard Fermor, his brother, was a wool merchant. The Fermor family had its seat in Somerton, Oxfordshire, and a number of estates in the county’s north.
At Islip, the medieval road connecting London and Worcester crossed the Ray. The original crossing was a ford, but it was later replaced with a bridge. During the English Civil War in the 1640s, the bridge and Islip’s proximity to Oxford made the village a strategic objective for both sides. Islip served as a strategic outpost for the Royalist capital of Oxford early in the war. In May 1644, a Parliamentarian force led by the Earl of Essex occupied Islip, but it was retaken by a Royalist force led by the Earl of Northampton early in 1645. A force led by Oliver Cromwell retook the village in April 1645, routing the Earl of Northampton’s men in an engagement on Islip Bridge. On July 4, 1645, Parliamentarian Lord Fairfax had his men demolish the bridge, which had been described as “new-built.” During the Third Siege of Oxford in 1646, a force led by Parliamentarian Colonel George Fleetwood occupied the village. Following the war, the bridge was rebuilt or replaced, and it is described as having six arches in John Ogilby’s Britannia Atlas of 1675. Except in the winter, the ford remained the main crossing until the 18th century. The road between London and Worcester became a coaching route in the nineteenth century, and Islip grew as a staging post. When Gosford Bridge became impassable in the winter, Islip was on the winter route between Oxford and Buckingham.
Several houses in the village bear the names of the village’s numerous coaching inns. The Plume of Feathers, also known as the Prince’s Arms, was allegedly constructed around 1780 from materials salvaged from the demolished Confessor’s Chapel. It was later demolished. The King’s Head, also known as the Coach And Horses, was constructed in the 17th century and became a private residence around 1976. The Boot, the Britannia, the Fox and Grapes, and the Saddlers Arms were all inns. The Saddlers Arms was still open in 1949, but it has since closed down. At the Red Lion, some Westminster Prebends met with their tenants.
The bridge was turnpiked in 1788, and the turnpike trustees closed the ford. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster Abbey, who were in charge of the bridge’s maintenance, were concerned about the increased traffic and wear on the bridge. They attempted and failed in 1816 to delegate responsibility for these repairs to either the turnpike trustees or the county. After violent local opposition, Parliament passed the Otmoor Enclosure Act in 1815, which resulted in the partial drainage of Otmoor. The River Ray’s increased flow scoured the river bed and undermined the bridge. The Otmoor Drainage Commissioners denied liability but agreed to pay for the repair of two of its arches. The bridge has four arches, according to an engraving published by John Dunkin in 1823. The Thames Valley Drainage Commission widened the river and built one of three arches to replace the bridge in 1878. Residents of Otmoor’s “seven towns” fought against the proposed enclosure and drainage of the moor. Unrest reached a climax in 1830–31, and the Oxfordshire Militia and the Buckinghamshire Yeomanry were called in to put a stop to it. The militia was joined by a company of Coldstream Guards, who marched from London on July 30, 1831 and were billeted in the village.
In 1850, the Buckinghamshire Railway completed its line from Bletchley to Oxford Rewley Road via Islip parish, and Islip railway station opened to serve the village. In 1967, British Railways discontinued passenger service on the line, and Islip station was demolished. In 1987, Oxfordshire County Council and Network SouthEast reintroduced passenger trains between Oxford and Bicester Town, and a new station opened in 1989. The line and Islip station were closed for upgrades as part of Chiltern Railways’ Evergreen 3 project before reopening on October 26, 2015. Islip is served by trains running between London Marylebone and Oxford. Trains between Oxford and Milton Keynes Central will also pass through Islip once the East West Rail is completed.