Powerflush nearby to Barnsley
Barnsley is a large market town in the English county of South Yorkshire. As the main settlement of the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley and the fourth largest settlement in South Yorkshire, the town had a population of 91,297 according to the 2011 Census, compared to the borough as a whole, which had a population of 246,866. It is historically located in the West Riding of Yorkshire, between the cities of Sheffield, Manchester, Wakefield, and Leeds. Rotherham, Huddersfield, and Doncaster are all nearby larger towns.
Former industries in Barnsley include linen, coal mining, glassmaking, and textiles.
Although these declined in the twentieth century, Barnsley’s culture is rooted in its industrial heritage, and it has a tradition of brass bands, which were originally formed as social clubs by its mining communities.
Barnsley Interchange railway station on the Hallam and Penistone Lines serves the town, which is close to the M1 motorway. Barnsley has spent most of its history in English football’s second tier, but it won the FA Cup in 1912 and played in the Premier League during the 1997–98 season.
Check this link for powerflushing service in these postcode areas:
Barnsley is first mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086, when it is known as Berneslai and has a population of around 200 people.
The origins of the name Barnsley are unknown, but Barnsley Council claims that it stems from the Saxon words “Berne” for barn or storehouse and “Lay” for field.
The town was in the parish of Silkstone and grew little until it was given to the Pontefract Priory in the 1150s. The monks established a town where three roads intersected: the Sheffield-Wakefield, Rotherham-Huddersfield, and Cheshire-Doncaster routes. The Domesday village was renamed Old Barnsley, and a town grew up on the new location.
The monks built an ease chapel dedicated to Saint Mary, which lasted until 1820, as well as a market. Barnsley was granted a Royal charter in 1249, allowing it to hold a weekly market on Wednesdays and an annual four-day fair at Michaelmas. Three annual fairs were held by the 1290s. The town was the administrative center of the Staincross wapentake, but it had only 600 inhabitants in the mid-16th century.
Barnsley grew into a stop-over point on the route between Leeds, Wakefield, Sheffield, and London beginning in the 17th century. The traffic generated by its location fueled trade, and hostelries and related services thrived. Barnsley grew into an important manufacturing town after becoming a major center for linen weaving in the 18th and 19th centuries.
The North Midland Railway opened the first passenger station in Barnsley in 1840. Barnsley station (later renamed Cudworth railway station) was 212 miles away in Cudworth. The Manchester and Leeds Railway opened Barnsley Exchange station, close to the town center, on January 1, 1850. The Midland Railway opened Regent Street station, a temporary structure, on May 1, 1870. On August 23, 1873, the MR opened a new station on the Regent Street site. Regent Street station was renamed Barnsley Court House station because it included the old courthouse in its construction.
Barnsley was established as a municipal borough in 1869 and as a county borough in 1913. The town’s boundaries were expanded in 1921 to include Ardsley and Monk Bretton, and again in 1938 to include Carlton.
Barnsley was the site of a human crush that killed 16 children in 1908, at a public hall now known as The Civic, when children were rushing to see a film in the building.
Barnsley has a long history of glassmaking, but it is best known for its coal mines. There were 70 collieries within a 15-mile radius of Barnsley town centre in 1960, but the last one closed in 1994. The National Union of Mineworkers’ headquarters are still in Barnsley.
The town was mentioned by George Orwell in his novel The Road to Wigan Pier. He arrived in town on March 11, 1936, and spent several days researching for the book by staying in the homes of working-class miners. He was harshly critical of the council’s spending on the construction of Barnsley Town Hall, claiming that the money should have gone toward improving the housing and living conditions of local miners.
Ardsley, Athersley, Barugh Green, Darton, Carlton, Cudworth, Cundy Cross, Darfield, Dodworth, Elsecar, Gawber, Higham, Honeywell, Hoyland, Kendray, Kexbrough, Kingstone, Lundwood, Mapplewell, Monk Bretton, New Lodge, Oakwell, Oakwell, Old Town, Pogmoor, Royston, Shafton, Smithies, Staincross, Stairfoot, Thurn
The green belt
Barnsley is located within a green belt region that encompasses the borough and the surrounding counties. It is in place to reduce urban sprawl, prevent further convergence of the towns in the Barnsley/Dearne Valley conurbation, protect the identity of outlying communities, encourage brownfield reuse, and preserve nearby countryside. This is accomplished by limiting inappropriate development within designated areas and imposing stricter conditions on permitted construction.
The Barnsley built-up area is surrounded by the green belt, which separates towns and villages throughout the borough. The green belt area also excludes larger outlying communities such as Cudworth, Dodworth, Kendray, Monk Bretton, and Worsbrough. However, the designation ‘washes over’ nearby smaller villages, hamlets, and rural areas such as Swaithe, Smithley, Low Laithes, and Upper Norcroft. A significant amount of semi-rural land on the outskirts is also included. The green belt was first defined in 1979, and its area in 2017 was 23,050 hectares (230.5 km2; 89.0 sq mi), accounting for 77 percent of the borough.
A secondary goal of the green belt is to promote recreation and leisure interests, with rural landscape features, greenfield areas, and facilities such as the River Dearne valley and its tributaries Cawthorne Dyke and Tanyard Beck; Hugset and Dovecliffe Woods; Worsbrough Mill Park and reservoir; Dearne Valley Park; Trans Pennine Trail; Kendray recreation ground; Locke Park; Stainborough Cricket Club and Park; Wentworth Castle and gardens; Barnsley Colliery The green belt extends beyond Penistone to the Peak District National Park.