Powerflush nearby to Kenilworth
Kenilworth is a market town and civil parish in Warwickshire, England, 6 miles (10 kilometres) south-west of Coventry, 5 miles (8 kilometres) north of Warwick, and 90 miles (140 kilometres) north-west of London. It is located on Finham Brook, a tributary of the River Sowe that flows into the River Avon 2 miles (3 kilometres) north-east of town. The population was 22,413 according to the 2011 Census. The ruins of Kenilworth Castle and Kenilworth Abbey can be found in the town.
Check this link for powerflushing service in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
Tudor and Medieval
Kenilworth had a settlement by the time the Domesday Book was written in 1086, and it was known as Chinewrde.
In 1122, Geoffrey de Clinton (died 1134) began the construction of an Augustinian priory, which coincided with the start of Kenilworth Castle. The priory was elevated to the rank of abbey in 1450 and was later suppressed as part of the Monasteries Dissolution in the 1530s. Following that, the abbey grounds adjacent to the castle were made common land in exchange for the land used to enlarge the castle by Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester. Only a few of the original abbey’s walls and a storage barn remain.
During the Middle Ages, Kenilworth Castle was subjected to a six-month siege as part of the Second Barons’ War, when baronial forces allied to Simon de Montfort were besieged in the castle by Royalist forces led by Prince Edward; this is thought to be the longest siege in Medieval English history. Despite numerous attempts, the castle’s defences proved impregnable. During the siege, King Henry III convened a Parliament at Kenilworth in August of that year, which resulted in the Dictum of Kenilworth, a conciliatory document outlining peace terms to end the conflict between the barons and the monarchy. The barons initially refused to accept, but hunger and disease forced them to surrender and accept the Dictum’s terms.
During the 15th century Wars of the Roses, Kenilworth Castle served as an important Lancastrian base in the Midlands: Lancastrian King Henry VI and his wife, Margaret of Anjou, spent a lot of time here.
Elizabeth I paid several visits to Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester at Kenilworth Castle, the most recent in 1575. Dudley lavished the Queen with pageants and banquets costing up to £1,000 per day, far exceeding anything seen in England before. Fireworks were among them.
A group of thatched cottages known as ‘Little Virginia’ can be found near the castle: According to local legend, they got their name because the first potatoes brought to England from the New World by Sir Walter Raleigh were planted and grown here in the 16th century. However, modern historians believe that this is unlikely, and that the name may have originated with early colonists to America returning to England from Virginia.
the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries
After the Royalist garrison was removed, Parliamentarians occupied Kenilworth Castle during the English Civil War. After the war, the castle’s defences were slighted on Parliament’s orders in 1649, and the castle became a ruin.
Kenilworth windmill was built in 1778. It was converted into a water tower in 1884, with the addition of a large water tank on top of the tower in place of the sails. It served as the town’s primary water supply until 1939, when it was decommissioned. It remains a local landmark, but it is now a private residence.
18th century to the present
Kenilworth had ceased to be a place of national significance with the demise of the castle’s defensive role, but Sir Walter Scott’s 1821 novel Kenilworth brought it back to public attention, and helped establish the castle ruins as a major tourist attraction.
Kenilworth was well-known in the early nineteenth century for its horn comb manufacturing industry, which peaked in the 1830s.
The arrival of the railway to Kenilworth in 1844, when the London and Birmingham Railway opened the Coventry to Leamington Line, including Kenilworth railway station, transformed the town. To avoid Coventry, the L&NWR built a new station in 1883 and a new link line between Kenilworth and Berkswell in 1884. On March 3, 1969, this was closed to all traffic.
The railway brought industrialists from Birmingham and Coventry to develop the residential area around the town’s railway station in the nineteenth century. The town had some fine large mansions with landscaped gardens in the nineteenth century; these were demolished after the First and Second World Wars for housing developments. The railway also brought a number of new industries to Kenilworth, including tanning, brick making, and chemicals, as well as significant growth in market gardening, which became known for producing crops such as tomatoes and strawberries.
As the town grew, a second Church of England parish church, St John’s, was built on Warwick Road in Knights Meadow. Ewan Christian designed it and it was built in 1851–1852 as a Gothic Revival structure with a south-west bell tower and broach spire.
During World War II’s Blitz, on the night of November 21, 1940, a German plane dropped two parachute mines on Kenilworth, destroying a number of buildings and killing 25 people and injuring 70 more. The town’s bomb-damaged area was redeveloped in the 1960s.
The Kenilworth Society was founded in May 1961 in response to concerns about a group of 17th-century listed cottages in Bridge Street adjacent to Finham Brook. It aims to raise awareness of Kenilworth’s unique character and encourage its preservation.
In January 1965, British Rail ceased passenger services on the Coventry-Leamington Line and closed Kenilworth Station in accordance with the report The Reshaping of British Railways. British Rail reintroduced passenger services in May 1977, but did not reopen Kenilworth station, which became derelict and was eventually demolished. Warwick Council granted John Laing plc planning permission to construct a new station in 2011. It reopened in 2018.
In the early 1980s, one of the first generation of computer retailers, Kenilworth Computers, based near the Clock Tower, used the town’s name for its repackaging of the Nascom microcomputer with the selling point that it was robust enough to be used by agriculture.
On November 23, 1981, Kenilworth was hit by an F0/T1 tornado as part of a record-breaking nationwide outbreak.