Powerflush nearby to Studley
Studley is a large village and civil parish in the Warwickshire district of Stratford-on-Avon. It is 3.5 miles (6 km) southeast of Redditch and 13 miles (21 km) northwest of Stratford-upon-Avon, on the western edge of Warwickshire near the border with Worcestershire. Ryknild Street, now the A435, runs through the village on its eastern outskirts, parallel to the River Arrow. The name is derived from the Old English word leah, which refers to a meadow or pasture where horses, stod, are kept.
Studley’s population was 6,624 according to the 2001 United Kingdom Census, but it has since dropped to 5,879 according to the 2011 Census.
We offer powerflushing service in heating systems in these postcode areas:
The manor of Studley is mentioned twice in the Domesday Book, mostly as part of the lands of William son of Courbucion, who was appointed Sheriff of Warwick shortly after 1086 “Ferncombe’s Stodlei (Studley) Hundred 4 hides 11 ploughs of land 3 slaves in Lordship 2. There are 19 villages with a priest and 12 smallholders with 9 ploughs. A mill for 5s; a 24 acre meadow; a salt house that pays 19 packloads of salt; and woodland a league long and 12 a league wide. The value was and still is in the hundreds. Swein freely held it.” Another holding is listed as part of William Bonavallet’s land. “William is the owner of one hide in Stodlei. Land suitable for two ploughs. 1 plough in lordship 4 acres of meadow; 3 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide woodland Tens are valuable. Godric had unrestricted access to it.”
It is the location of a castle, not the 19th-century house known as Studley Castle, as well as the ruins of a mediaeval priory. Peter Corbizun founded the Augustinian priory in the 12th century, but it was closed during Henry VIII’s dissolution and used as a source of stone for other local buildings. Apart from the use of the name priory in a few local building names such as Priory Farm, which now much modernised, embodies a few fragmentary portions of a conventual building, nothing remains today. The remains of a large 14th-century window can be found in a gabled west wall of stone rubble. The walls are adorned with a few mediaeval sculptured fragments.
Studley is surrounded by hills that rise to about 500 feet on the north, east, and west sides. The River Arrow flows across the south-west corner, through flat land, but the country north and east of the brook is mostly undulating and forested. The main village is located on the river’s west bank, along the Roman Rykneild Way, which is now the A435, Alcester-Birmingham road. The fact that the church and castle are about a half mile away on the opposite side of the river suggests that the original settlement was located some distance from the Roman road. The main road bears right from Rykneild Street at Washford, half a mile north of Studley village, and continues through the hamlet of Mappleborough Green and up Gorcott Hill, which marks the parish’s northern extremity. The Rykneild Street (which diverges significantly from its original line between Washford and Ipsley) was the main road to Birmingham until the end of the 18th century; the current road between Spernall Ash (on the southern boundary of Studley parish) and Digbeth in Birmingham was turnpiked by an Act of 1721.