Powerflush nearby to Wellesbourne
Wellesbourne is a large village in the civil parish of Wellesbourne and Walton in the county of Warwickshire in the United Kingdom’s West Midlands region. The parish, which includes the village of Walton, had a population of 5,691 according to the 2001 census. According to the 2011 census, this figure had risen to 5,849. On April 1, 2014, the civil parish of Wellesbourne was renamed Wellesbourne and Walton.
With the rapid increase in new housing and industrial developments since the 1990s, Wellesbourne is increasingly referred to as a small commuter town serving its larger neighbours such as Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick, Leamington Spa, and Banbury, as well as the cities of Coventry and Birmingham a little further afield.
Wellesbourne is located on the A429 road, seven miles south of Warwick and five miles east of Stratford-upon-Avon. Walton and Kineton are nearby villages.
Visit this for cleaning out rust in your heating systems in these postcode areas:
The name Wallesburam was first recorded in 862. In the Domesday Book, it was later referred to as Waleborne.
Wellesbourne was hit by a tornado in May 1140, one of the first recorded in the British Isles. It destroyed several structures and killed a woman.
Wellesbourne was once divided into two villages: Wellesbourne Mountford and Wellesbourne Hastings, separated by the River Dene, with the former to the south and the latter to the north. The two parishes were merged in 1947 and are now considered a single village. Because of these historical reasons, Wellesbourne has two village centres, Chestnut Square and the Precinct. The Chestnut Square area no longer has commercial properties, but the old storefronts can be seen in what are now houses.
Wellesbourne Hall, which dates from around 1700 and is grade 2* listed, was owned for nearly two centuries by the Dewes (later Granville) family until 1920.
The founding of the National Agricultural Labourers Union by Joseph Arch in 1872, perhaps the most significant event in Wellesbourne’s history, was once commemorated by an annual parade, which was hoped to be revived in 2010. The trade unions, which once played an important role, showed little interest, but the Wellesbourne Action Group still organises a walk along the Joseph Arch Way from Barford to Wellesbourne on the 9th of June every year. In the village bus shelter, there is an unusual memorial in the form of a plaque dating from 1952. The first meetings were held in the historic Stag’s Head pub, which is directly across the street from the bus shelter. The thatched building was constructed in 1640 and converted to a pub in 1830. In 2021, it was destroyed by fire, leaving the King’s Head on Warwick Road as the village’s only pub.
The Royal Air Force established an airfield, RAF Wellesbourne Mountford, immediately south of the village during WWII; after the war, it was converted into a civilian airfield.
Wellesbourne has grown significantly since the 1960s as a result of new housing developments. The Dovehouse estate was built in the 1980s on part of the site of the airfield, and the streets are named after the aircraft that once flew from there.